How to get rapid temperature readings

Old 12-08-05, 07:47 PM
D
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
How to get rapid temperature readings

I have a multifamily, three stories, single steam heating systems. Thanks to two new wooden floors I put in this year, some of the apartments hold the heat better than last year, thus I have to rebalance the temperature each floor and room.

Question, how do I QUICKLY measure the temp of each room? I dont want to spend a lot of time in each room as the thermometer takes 5 minutes to adjust to that rooms temperature.

I want to get a FAST sampling digital thermometer for testing air temperature. One that I can get a quick read.

I have looked at the laser point and shoot thermometers but there are two problems. First it measure surfaces and the second is that it is + - 3 degrees accuracy.

For the temperature, I am thinking I could bring in to the room a sheet of aluminum foil with a very light coat of spray paint and get a read off of the spray painted side.

However I need better accuracy than the + - 3 degrees.

Any suggestions on what to use?

Old 12-10-05, 05:19 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately, you can't accomplish what you describe in a short period of time. I often tell my customers that it isn't that I don't want to help, but it takes several days to balance a radiator system for comfort. If you upgraded the system to constant circulation and installed thermostatic radiator valves, you would be way ahead of the game but that will be a large project. You need to wait several hours and a few heat cycles before the room temperature will reach its new point. There is no way to rush it. All I have ever been able to do is make a change in the valve seting and show the resident how to do the same if the temperature does not get to an acceptable level by the next day. Sometimes relocating the thermostat can be helpful too.

Ken

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: