Missing Fins on HW baseboard pipes?

Old 12-13-05, 08:52 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Missing Fins on HW baseboard pipes?

I've noticed that the HW baseboards in my house (30 yr old, but new to me) have only partial coverage by the aluminum fins which facilitate heat transfer. It seems to vary from room to room, however. Is there a certain amount of bare pipe that's necessary to promote equal heating throughout the loop (zone)? Can/should I put more fins on the pipe and would that increase heating efficiency? Thanks.

Jeremy

Old 12-13-05, 08:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Missing fins

The fins are not replaceable. If you are comfortable, leave it alone other than brushing out & vaccuuming the fins.

Old 12-14-05, 04:41 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
comfortable?

Thanks for the info. My wife certainly keeps the temperature comfortable, but the amount of oil I've used to do so - let's say I'm not comfortable with that. Thus my question about increasing the heat transfer efficiency. Actually, the master bedroom is fairly cold and it is one of the rooms missing many feet of fins. It seems odd that there is no way to add/replace the metal fins if missing or mangled (I've got some of those too).

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Jeremy

Old 12-15-05, 02:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Missing fins

You can buy just the fined tube part of the baseboard & put it in your enclosure. Those fins are pressed on. That is why you cannot buy just the fins.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: