HELP! Furnace is stuck in lockout (I think)...

Old 12-14-05, 08:24 PM
paul_brown
Visiting Guest
Exclamation HELP! Furnace is stuck in lockout (I think)...

Hello,
A friend of mine has a boiler that seems to be stuck in a lockout cycle. Every five minutes (you can set your watch by it) it fires for 45 seconds, then stops. It's a Liberty by Slantfin, model L30-P, rated at 151,000 btu/hr with a Carlin 99FRD burner, and a Honeywell R4184D 1027 Intermittent Ignition.

I'm thinking that the flame sensor is defective. I know it's getting fuel and firing because I can see flame through the window. Problem is, it won't fire continuously. That's a bad thing as we're in North Pole, Alaska (read: COLD!) It fires even when the boiler's up to high limit and none of the zones are causing the aquastat to call.

Any thoughts?

FYI: It's not heating domestic hot water. It's hooked up to radiant floor heat as well as a hot water garage heater. The aquastat is brand new.

Old 12-15-05, 07:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you meant that it is a 7184 control I am familiar with that. It could be that flame sensor. Those controls will recycle after they lose flame (or think they do). It is the easiest thing to try to replace the flame sensor. If the burner is way out of adjustment, it will also fool the flame sensor. There is no way it should run when the boiler is at high limit. You should check it thoroughly to find out why the burner is running so often.

Ken

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: