Couple of questions about installing a new digital thermostat

Old 12-27-05, 11:28 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Both stats are good,, I find that the Vision is much eaiser to program.

Old 12-27-05, 11:50 AM
zilla31
Visiting Guest
which model of Honeywell Vision should i get? i don't need something super fancy - just enough to program weekdays vs. weekends (5-1?) and that will work w/ all my problems in this thread obviously went to Loews and saw a ton of honeywell stats and want to make triple sure i get one that will work w/ what i got... THANKS.

Old 12-27-05, 01:08 PM
zilla31
Visiting Guest
Old 12-27-05, 05:07 PM
Any of the Vision will work.. I have the Touch screen one and LOVE it. Only down fall I know the Vision touch screen will not have all the options like the Pro version.

I don't know what Lowes carries.. I don't work there.. hehe.. I work at HD.. Anyway..

The 5-1 is Mon to Fri and Sat/Sun together.

5-2 is Mon to Fri together, and sat and sun alone.

7 Mon to Sun all alone.

The touch screen will be the easiest one of all to program.

Old 12-27-05, 06:30 PM
zilla31
Visiting Guest
ok i ordered the 8110 (touchscreen) from amazon. i'm off to st. croix for a week but it will be here when i get back and i'll install it then let you guys know what happens... thanks million and have a great new years (all).

- rod

Old 12-27-05, 06:36 PM
Allright, have a safe trip!

Old 12-27-05, 09:15 PM
T
That O wire did something at sometime. That Vision Pro is kinda expensive. Cross your fingers.

Old 12-28-05, 03:45 AM
zilla31
Visiting Guest
the vision pro IS expensive. i'd love to have something cheaper but after all this i want to get something i'm sure works and that's about the only solid recommendation i've had (after a bad experience w/ a "cheaper" hunter). the "O" wire was def hooked up at one point (to the old stat)... makes me kind of nervous for sure...

Old 12-28-05, 07:41 AM
True, the VP is expensive. I had mine over a year and been very happy with it. I put one in for my parents about a month ago, and mom says it was well worth the money, and house is much more comfrotable. best of all, it's easy to program. She said inthe past with other program t-stat, she would just "hold" temp all time. it was hard to program.. This one was much easier.

I line mine cuz of the background is lighted and easy to see in dark hall ways. I am not sure what you got. but if you got the TH, you use the common and can set the back light on all times. the RTH you can't. Also you can program the blower to do what you want it do durning the program mode. I run my blower "ON" when we are home, "Circ" in the day time, and "Auto" at night for heating, and Cooling, AUTO all day, and Circ at night.

When you do get it, and install and follow the set up menu, if you have questions, feel free to ask questions.

I am not sure why or what that O wire is used for. With a regular A/C system you do not need it.

Go out to your outdoor unit, and see if the O wire is out there.. On a heat pumpt system. that O wire goes out there for "heat" mode of heating.. But your model # that you gave us is Not a heat pump. So check it anyway to see if it was some how was wired upt to something, and it shorted out on you.

Look in the air handler where all the t-stat wire goes to.

You should have theh following on your a/c side.
t-stat ---wire---air handler---outdoor unit.
Rc---red--- red
y----yellow--y----red---- contactor
g----green---g
c----blue----c/b---white---contactor (C from t-stat is not needed but will help the battery last longer)

Heating side.
Rh---red---R
W----white---W

Make sure the jumper wire is out /cut from the t-stat subbase.

Old 12-31-05, 06:23 AM
zilla31
Visiting Guest
i did get the TH (8110). once i get back stateside i'll hook it up and let you guys know for sure... fingers crossed. i got the zone valve issue resolved under warranty so that's out of the picture - now just need a good stat working!

Old 01-04-06, 07:54 AM
zilla31
Visiting Guest
ok got back from vaca to find the 8110 waiting... the baseplate has the following connections:

RC, R, O/B, Y, G, C (and S1 and S2 on the left) listed as "HEAT PUMP"

AND

RC, R, W, Y, G, C (and S1 and S2 on the left) listed as "CONVENTIONAL"

soooo...

what's our final determination on what should go where? I have (from my wall):

Y, O, G, and RC that were once connected to the old A/C stat and control A/C

AND

2 indistinguishable white wires (currently labeled RH and W) that were once connected to the old HEAT stat.

Old 01-04-06, 09:45 AM
Happy New year, and welcome home.. Where did you go?

Anyway, Did you go back to the air hander and outdoor unit to see if the O wire is hooked up to anything?

You want to do the regular system wire.

make sure you remove the small black jumper wire between Rh/Rc.

Old 01-04-06, 09:56 AM
zilla31
Visiting Guest
the air handler is in my attic and it's damn near impossible to "trace" the O wire... there's a series of in's and out's through couplers etc. that make it impossible (for me at least). my only clue is the "O" wire WAS hooked up to the "O" terminal on the OLD stat so i guess it did something... but in the CONVENTIONAL setup on the new stat there is no O (it's replaced by W).

so i'd be hooking it up like this (for the 4 A/C wires):

Wall -> Stat
------------
RC -> RC
Y -> Y
G -> G
O -> Cap off

and then (for the 2 heat wires):

RH and W (i've been told it doesn't matter which to which here) to "W" and "R" (i guess since this is the only R that will be left) on the new stat?

Old 01-04-06, 10:17 AM
on wire that has no color is fine.. it don't matter.. go ahead and wire it up as you said.

Old 01-05-06, 03:55 PM
What are your results??

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: