steam heat thermostat

Old 12-18-05, 06:11 PM
rbenny
Visiting Guest
steam heat thermostat

I have a fairly new heating system about 4-5 years old. A Burnham boiler and a Riello Burner. I have a Honeywell mechanical thermostat. Currently the way it is setup, I set the thermostat to 63 degrees. The system turns on about 62 and turns off at 71 degrees. I am considering installing a digital thermostat. I have been told you cannot program a "range" into the thermostat. If you set it to 68, the system turns on at 67 and turns off at 68 or 69, depending on the thermostat.
Which way is more energy efficient. A large swing (8 degrees) or a small swing (2-3 degrees)
Thanks
Rich B

Old 12-18-05, 06:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I am surprised that you find the large swing comfortable at all. Usually more than 2 or 3 degrees causes complaints. Your heat anticipator is not set correctly or the thermostat is defective. The heat should come on about 1 degree below the setpoint and not rise above the setpoint. If your boielr is running up a head of steam, it may override the thermostat. You should set the anticipator to a higther setting to turn the thermostat off sooner. A digital thermostat will have a cycle rate adjustment and that would do the job too. It is more efficient if you set t he thermostat at 63 degrees and keep the house at that temperature but that may be too cold.

Ken

Old 12-21-05, 08:06 PM
rbenny
Visiting Guest
At times the temp swing is uncomfortable. It gets too hot most of the time. On real cold days it can be a bit cold especially since steam is not immediate heat. Any idea of efficiency with a large swing compared to a small swing.
Rich

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: