No hot water in shower

Old 12-22-05, 08:27 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy No hot water in shower

Help, everyone! I have a HW baseboard heating system which supplies heat OK but the past week or so will not supply hot water to our showers. You can go in and get about a minutes worth of hot water but then you're out of there! We've tried taking showers at different times with hardly any success. It hasn't been unusually colder here (NY) lately so I can't imagine what the issue could be. I do not have a separate hot water heater, all our domestic and heating water comes from the furnace itself. Thanks to all for any help with this.

Old 12-22-05, 06:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Lack of hot water

If you have sufficient hot water elsewhere, you are probably pulling water thru the coil faster than heat can be transfered. Often coils get crapped up (sorry for the highly technical term) either on the inside or outside. In either case, heat is not properly transfered from the boiler to the domestic water. If you have noticed a reduction in flow, the coil is probably partially clogged internally. This is often remedied by acid cleaning the interior of the coil. You could also have (if so equipped) a tempering valve malfunctioning.

Old 01-03-06, 09:48 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi Grady,

I'm having a similiar problem: hot water in my shower is getting smaller by day. The temparature is still the same but the volume is quickly dropping. It's happening to both showers - do you think it's caused by clogging of the boiler? If so how do I clean it? By the way, water is very hard here.

Thanks,
Nvmnd

Old 01-04-06, 05:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Nvmnd

In your case I believe the coil to be partially clogged. Cleaning a domestic coil in a boiler is not a job I would suggest be done yourself since it involves the use of acid (often hot) under pressure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: