Replacing Boiler with hot water heater

Old 12-23-05, 08:46 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing Boiler with hot water heater

I am wanting (needing) to replace my 1955 vintage gas fired York boiler with a new hot water heater. Currently the boiler is located in the kitchen and I want to move the new heater to a different location. I believe I have two choices. One is out the utility room and the other is a closet located on the other side of the wall of the boiler.

I do not have a gas line in the utility room and the only thing located near there is the washer. The closet on the other hand has a gas line just on the other side of the wall along with the hot water line coming out of the boiler. The closet is also next to one bathroom and below the other one.

I guess I will be looking at a 40 or 50 gallon tank since we only have two adults and two infants in the house.

What kind of space requirements do I need if I want to install the heater in the closet? What other considerations should I be looking at for this project?

Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Brian

Old 12-24-05, 07:08 AM
Replacing boiler

I don't think that I can do you any good because locations of water heaters are local, check with your plumbing dept. Sorry.

Old 12-24-05, 10:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Replacing boiler or water heater

Brian,
Is the unit you want to replace used for heating the house or just domestic hot water?

Old 12-26-05, 04:13 PM
B
The boiler I want to get rid of used to heat the entire house, but now it only provides VERY HOT water.

The boiler still seems to work after 50+ years but I have no control over the temperature. At times it can be in excess of 220 degrees. With a little child in the house this is a concern of mine.

Another reason for wanting to replace the boiler is added kitchen space. The unit is about 3'x3'x3' and takes up precious cabinet space.

My original question was regarding installing a hot water tank in a different. I am not looking to replace it with another boiler.

Thanks
Brian

Old 12-26-05, 04:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Brian

I normally don't discourage people from doing a project but in this case I honestly think you should call in a local contractor at least for a consultation & cost estimate.

Old 12-28-05, 02:26 PM
B
That's what I was afraid of. I would rather have the job done right though.

Thanks for the reply

Old 12-28-05, 03:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thumbs up Wise man

Gas piping & the venting of fossil fuel appliances can get pretty tricky with so many codes you need to know & abide by. I congratulate you on knowing enough to say "I don't know".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: