Heater overflow

Old 12-24-05, 07:51 AM
najezenimacak
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Heater overflow

Hello Everybody,

Recently I purchased a house, and now I am moved in for last 10 days. Last two days I noticed that during the day there is about 5 gallons of water coming out the gas heater. I have hot water gas heating system. I have not seen any of this before, and I was wondering is anyone has any solutions for me?

Thanks,
najezenimacak

Old 12-24-05, 09:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
overflow

Your boiler is likely over pressurized & the water is coming out of the relief valve. Near the boiler should be a tank which is piped back to the boiler. If this tank has a hose connection on it, it is a conventional expansion tank & is likely full of water. Before doing anything please post back & tell me if this is what you have. Also look for a shut off valve between the tank & the boiler.

Old 12-24-05, 06:47 PM
najezenimacak
Visiting Guest
Cool you are correct

Thanks for the reply,
the system that you explained is the same one that I have. I did find the valve that you were talking about too. When I try and release the presure through that valve I was hoping to get some hot water, and the water that is coming out is cold. these are some new updates. thanks for replying.

najezenimacak

Old 12-24-05, 07:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Tank

OK, here's what you need to do. Get a piece of hose just long enough to reach from the tank into a bucket. I usually use a washing machine hose.
Turn off the valve in the pipe between the tank & the boiler. Open the hose connection & drain the tank COMPLETELY. Don't be fooled into thinking the tank is empty just because water stops running. You may have to take the hose off & open & close the vavle or shake the tank to allow air to be sucked back up into the tank. Make sure you drain the tank all the way. Once drained, close the hose valve & open the valve between the tank & boiler slowly. Try to maintain close to 10# on the boiler gauge. You should get water flowing into the tank. After the water stops flowing, you can open the valve the rest of the way & should be good to go.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: