Water Boiler is Leaking

Old 12-28-05, 02:10 PM
mod1234
Visiting Guest
Question Water Boiler is Leaking

I have a water boiler, and there was a bang noise and then a puddle around the boiler. I called PSEG and they came and replaced a pipe. Then it happened again within like 2 weeks or so. When they came again they said that this was due to the water pressure in the house setting, and there was nothing more they can do. They said something about the water pressure setting should be about 70-something, but mine was at 90-something, and that I had to call a plumber to get that lowered. Does this sound right? What would change the house's water pressure suddenly to cause this? Never had any problems with this before. So they fixed it temporarily, but they said it would likely happen again, so call the plumber. Is this something Ireally need to call a plumber for? Or can I do this myself?
Any help is appreciated! Thanks so much!

Old 12-28-05, 03:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Water Pressure

Ninety pounds of water pressure!!! WOW The only thing which would cause something like this is an increase in city water pressure for some reason known only to the water department.
You do need a pressure regulator installed. I would first call the city water department.

Old 01-04-06, 03:53 PM
mod1234
Visiting Guest
Someone from the company called and said that the increase in the pressure might be due to a lot of construction going on around the neighborhood... Thanks for the reply, and I will contact a plumber...would anyone know is this going to cost me an arm or a leg? What is the usual pressure set at normally?
Thanks for the info!

Old 01-04-06, 04:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Mod1234

I don't know how much a pressure regulator would cost but "normal" pressure would be somewhere around 60 pounds or so.

Old 01-05-06, 12:15 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A water pressure regulator will cost ~$45, plus some fittings. Materials less than $50. Not sure what a plumber would charge. This is definately a DIY job.

Old 01-05-06, 06:58 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I think the max inlet pressure for the automatic water feeder for your boiler is 125 lbs. That means that a regulator won't fix your problem. I have a few places I can think of who have over 100 lbs of water pressure and they don't want a regulator. It makes them run out of hot water but never caused a problem with boiler pressure.

Ken

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: