Weil-Mclain VHE boiler noises

Old 12-30-05, 07:29 PM
tbar0000
Visiting Guest
Weil-Mclain VHE boiler noises

I have a VHE-5 Series 3 boiler, and have a strange problem. Ever since my VHE was moved into the basement- I have noticed a strange "boing" (for lack of a better word) sound coming from it only when the boiler first starts up. When the boiler was re-located, the plumber cut out the piping going to the secondary heat loop at the rear of the boiler saying it was unnecessary. Since then I have had this expansion/oil canning sound problem. I assume that the removing the secondary loop from the system caused the temperatures of the 2 (fore and aft) sections of the boiler to be heated up at different rates, causing the metals to expand and a boing sound occurring. This only occurs when the boiler water temp goes from low to high temp. All is perfect (and quiet) once it heats up. It never happened before it was relocated.

I would like to re-connect the secondary loop and hope that someone could take a digital photo of the plumbing side of a VHE and possibly emailing it to me. I'd like to see how yours is plumbed as I would like to set it back to the condition it was before it was relocated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

Old 12-31-05, 12:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Weil-McLain VHE

I looked on Weil-McLain's web site & they don't list a VHE. They do show an AHE.

Old 12-31-05, 03:42 PM
tbar0000
Visiting Guest
VHE boiler

It's under discontinued products.
http://www.weil-mclain.com/literatur...literature.htm

Tom

Old 12-31-05, 04:41 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I started to download some of the data sheets and realized it will be next year before my wonderful dial-up connection allows me to finish so I quit. What I wanted to see was what size the flue collector box is and how it is constructed. It may just have some stress that makes it oilcan when it heats up. That should be easy to fix if it is the problem. You should really observe and try to locate the exact source of the sound. Only then can you fix it without wasting time and energy.

Ken

Old 01-27-06, 07:04 PM
tbar0000
Visiting Guest
VHE saga continues

Tech question continued… A plumber moved my VHE boiler and in the process replumbed it effectively taking the rear heat exchanger out of the system (sort of making it a HE instead of a VHE). Problem is it needs to be put back to normal configuration as the 2 sections are expanding/contracting at a different rates causing large BOING noises (for lack of a better word), not to mention the reduction in efficiency. Original plumber will not respond to my calls to fix this! Other local plumbers state that they cannot get the proprietary o-ring type copper fittings that attach to the secondary heat exchanger (stainless)piping and are afraid to try and sweat the current fittings due to the cut section of copper pipe is too close to the Orings. Questions for those in the know:

Can these fittings be replaced? How to remove them? (are they pressed on?) Can I get parts? Where? If I can't then I will have to spend thousands on a new boiler for someone else’s mistake! This boiler otherwise works great and is 87% efficient when hooked up properly- good enough for me! Any info will help greatly.

Thanks in advance,

Tom Barsch

Old 02-01-06, 05:35 AM
tbar0000
Visiting Guest
stumped the masses?

What, has no one heard of these O-ring sealed fittings on the rear heat exchanger on the VHE boilers- This is looking very bad for me. I finally figured out exactly what the plumber did wrong, and now can't figure out how to fix it due to propriatary fittings that will surely leak if I try and solder that close to the orings. Weil distributor here in NJ says he doesn't know how to get a hold of the fittings.

Old 02-01-06, 05:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
tbar000

That is the big reason I refuse to install W/M equipment. Once they discontinue a boiler, specialized parts become very hard to get a hold of. One winter I had to replace 3 W/M boilers, each only about 15 years old, simply because the O-rings, oops pardon me, "elastomeric seals", were leaking. For lack of a $20 part, the customers had to replace the entire boiler & got NO warranty help from W/M.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: