Spirovent, Expansions tanks and Extrols

Old 12-31-05, 04:35 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Spirovent, Expansions tanks and Extrols

Fellow who's going to install my new HW boiler system this coming Tuesday, stopped by today to make some sketches for plumbing, etc. In reviewing the components to be installed I asked about a Spirovent, mostly because our water has alot of air in it at times (1245' flowing artesian). He said they're nice pieces of equipment, and it would only add another $100 (cheaper to put it in now with new system). I had originally planned to have him install an Extrol bladder tank to replace old steel expansion tank, but he believes the money for the Extrol would be better spent on the Spirovent; he's had fewer problems with the old style expansions tanks vs. the Extrols. Any opinions would be welcomed. Thanks.

Old 12-31-05, 04:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Bren

You don't want to mix a steel compression tank with automatic air vents such as a Spirovent. If you are going to install any kind of auto matic venting system, install a bladder tank as well. I know there are systems out there with conventional tanks & auto vents which don't have any problems but there is a better than even chance the mix will cause problems.

Old 12-31-05, 04:49 PM
Get the extrol and the spirovent and save a lot of headaches. If you put in a spirovent, you will probably remove all the air.....even the air you need in that old expansion tank to make it work. It doesn't pay to get that close to doing it right and then stop short. The place to save money is NOT on air filters, oil filters, valves, and air elimination devices. Cigarettes and/or beer can be done without for a peroid of time but not the components that make a good HVAC system a great system.

Ken

Old 12-31-05, 04:59 PM
B
Well, this is good to know, Grady; thanks for your input. I'll give him a call on Monday and pass your (I don't mention any names) suggestion by him. Apparently, Extrols aren't really that expensive -- $35 or so.

Happy New Year to you, and many thanks to you and the rest of the moderators for all your help in 2005.

Ken -- thanks for your suggestions, too; somehow your reply wasn't showing when I orginally posted this.

Last edited by bren; 01-01-06 at 03:56 AM. Reason: missed reply

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: