Radiator Problem in Steam System

Old 01-03-06, 07:58 PM
Y
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Radiator Problem in Steam System

I have a two family house with 2 separate (gas) boilers for the different apartments. The heating system is a steam system. The boiler for one of the apartments (on the 2nd and 3rd floors) is brand new, just installed approximately 4 months ago. That apartment has 7 rooms. All but one of the rooms are heating up fairly well. The one room that is not heating up well is the last room on the chain of rooms to receive heat as it is on the opposite end of the house from the room where the thermostat is located.

I have had my plumber over several times to try to troubleshoot the problem. He added deflectors to the other radiators to try to address the issue. I am not exactly sure how to adjust the deflectors to try to deal with this.

The radiator in this room worked fine last year with the old boiler. I find it to be an odd coincidence that the radiator is now problematic with a new boiler, but I suppose that could be the case.

Does anyone have any suggestions in adjusting the deflectors or how else I might be able to improve the heating in this one room?

Old 01-04-06, 06:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Deflectors?

Sorry, I'm not sure what is meant be the term deflectors. If you mean adjustable air vents, turn the troublesome radiators vent to a higher number & the other rads to a lower number.

Old 01-04-06, 08:23 PM
Y
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grady
Sorry, I'm not sure what is meant be the term deflectors. If you mean adjustable air vents, turn the troublesome radiators vent to a higher number & the other rads to a lower number.
Thanks. If you mean the dial on the bottom of the steam release, we tried that. According to the plumber, the deflectors were installed by the plumber to deflect air away from the radiators so that they would continue to demand water (i.e. continue to heat) even after they had attained a desirable temperature.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: