upstairs "zone" is always on when the furnace is on?

Old 01-09-06, 03:22 PM
zilla31
Visiting Guest
upstairs "zone" is always on when the furnace is on?

Ok i finally got my thermostat issues resolved and now i'm on to facing the bigger problem (which i had hoped would go away w/ a the stat replacement but didn't):

my upstairs zone seems to be always on (no matter what the thermostat reads or the temperature outside) whenever my furnace is on. The downstairs "zone" (controlled by a different zone valve/operator and thermostat) works fine. A furnace guy once told me that the upstairs zone (and stat) and downstairs zone (and stat) are somehow related (but i can't remember how), maybe that's a clue?

Any idea as to what can be my problem? my upstairs stat is currently reading 68 as the desired temp, and 78 as the actual temp (even though it's 45 outside), guess i got to go turn off the heat for a while...

help?

PS a lot of the data about my setup can be found in a previous thread i started around here: http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...0&page=1&pp=40

THANKS!

Old 01-10-06, 05:34 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sounds like your zone valve is stuck open, so water is always flowing. It will flow even if the circulator is not running due to natural convection.

To verify, disconnect the wires on from the zone valve (but if there are wires connected to each other, maintain the connection). If zone valve is stuck open, then the zone will continue to heat.

There is also a manual operator (lever) on the zone valves to open the valve manually. Make sure that someone did not somehow open the zone valve using the manual operator.

Most likely will need to replace the zone valve.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: