Please help ASAP before I freeze

Old 01-10-06, 06:21 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Please help ASAP before I freeze

I just changed the radiator valves on my radiatiors... does the little valve that lets the air escape need to be on top or does it matter? I am going to bleed the radiators to get the knocking noise out but I do not want to turn on the heat if I have to do something with the valves.... please advise.

Old 01-10-06, 07:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Air Bleeders

Yes the bleeders need to be on the top part of the radiator.

Old 01-10-06, 07:53 PM
J
Okay so I got the valve on right and turned on the heat... now almost every radiator in my house is leaking at the valve. what can this be??? the knocking is loud and almost every radiator has water coming out by the valve. how can i fix this????

Old 01-10-06, 07:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Steam Boiler?

If this is a steam boiler you probably have way too much water in it.

Old 01-10-06, 08:04 PM
J
yes it is a steam boiler... how do i get the water out of it!!! I am a new homeowner and this is driving me nuts. But this site is so helpful!!! I have no idea where I would be right now without it!!! thanks for the help

ETA this boiler takes in water from the hot water heater... so this is a steam boiler right?

Old 01-10-06, 08:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
More help than I can give online

At this point I think you need to call a local professional. I know it will cost you a service call but think of it as the price of education. Most heater guys will be glad to explain your system to you & show you how to do some simple maintenance items. Believe me, the cost of this service call now will be far cheaper than a major repair if you really mess something up. Turn the boiler off & make the call first thing in the AM.

Old 01-10-06, 08:20 PM
J
So there is no way of draining it tonite... we are ccccooooollllldddddd!!! on the boiler it has a "spout" near the bottom... is that where it would drain? I am really willing to try.

Old 01-10-06, 08:23 PM
J
just another question,when i bled the radiators the water gushed out... if i opne the radiator in the attic and let it drain a while... will that work?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: