Going away for a month and turning off water

Old 01-12-06, 12:38 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Going away for a month and turning off water

Hi,

We're going away on vacation for a month and since it gets pretty cold here I was thinking about turning off the water supply where it enters the house just in case something happens to the furnace and it goes out. If I do this ... do I need to turn off the water heater too ?

I'm afraid that if I leave it on it might damage if the water for somereason goes out. Is there a risk in just turning off the water heater ? Or should I just leave it on ?
(it is a gas heater and gas furnace)

Thanks

Old 01-12-06, 12:53 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Basset, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
If you are turning off the water supply, turn off the water heater. Without a water supply, it is possible that the heater would overheat and cause a problem. No risk in turning the gas to the unit off. Good luck and have a fun vacation.

Old 01-12-06, 12:55 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply Was concerned about coming back and finding a that my basement looks like an icerink

Yes .. a whole month ... whoohoo

Thanks!

Old 01-12-06, 05:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Basset

You posted your question in the boilers forum. Is the heat hot air or hot water? If it is hot water, & you do not have a low water cut-off on the boiler, I do not suggest turning off the water.

Old 01-12-06, 05:27 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Grady,
Sorry I missed what Forum this was in. Glad you were covering your Forum. Could have been a big mistake made.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: