can i add water heaters in my basement?

Old 01-17-06, 01:18 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
can i add water heaters in my basement?

hello from a newbie to the site. just moved into a house which is heated by oil. there are rad's in all the rooms on the upper level, but not a single rad in the basement where the furnace and oil tank are.

is it possible to "tap" into the system and run some rads into the basement areas. are there new radiators available to add to these systems?

i'm not sure what type of system it is however. i do see an expansion tank, and an electric water heater, but i think the heater is only for the taps. but again, i dont know much about this sort of stuff.

please let me know if this is possible.

thanks in advance,

sam

Old 01-17-06, 05:44 AM
It is possible, depending upon what type of system is used to distribute the hot water to the "radiators", the size of the piping and the capacity of the boiler (in BTU/hr).
Start by figuring out how the water from the boiler gets to each radiator. When the water comes out of the boiler, does it split into more pipes that go off to the house? How many more pipes and what size are they (3/4", 1", 1")?
How many thermostats are there in the house?
How many circulators are there (they push the water around the loop)?
A picture of the boiler and piping around it would be most helpful.

Old 01-19-06, 12:01 PM
S
Originally Posted by fixitron
It is possible, depending upon what type of system is used to distribute the hot water to the "radiators", the size of the piping and the capacity of the boiler (in BTU/hr).
Start by figuring out how the water from the boiler gets to each radiator. When the water comes out of the boiler, does it split into more pipes that go off to the house? How many more pipes and what size are they (3/4", 1", 1")?
How many thermostats are there in the house?
How many circulators are there (they push the water around the loop)?
A picture of the boiler and piping around it would be most helpful.

I have a simillar sittuation in my basement. Since all of the pipes run along the ceiling in the basement i would like to tap into one of them to place a baseborad there. i am actually thinking of rerouting a baseborad that is ina room that we do not use and it currently has two other baseboards so one missing one wouldnt hurt.
I noticed that all of baseborads continue the flow of water one pipe in one pipe out.
How can i go about this?

Old 01-19-06, 06:28 PM
If there is one loop for the boiler, then adding more radiation to the loop will cool the boiler water even more, so that it will be cooler by the time it gets back to the boiler, and creating a little more drag, or pressure drop, for the circulator to overcome.
If there are more than one loop off of the boiler, you have to look at whether the amount of piping and amount of radiation (total BTUs) on each loop will be fairly even after any changes.
Do you have one big loop or more than one?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: