top floor radiator - right half warm, left half cold

Old 01-17-06, 11:55 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
top floor radiator - right half warm, left half cold

I just moved into a hundred year old house with (I think) a steam heating system (oil heated). On the third floor (top floor), one radiator does not heat at all, and one only heats on the right half, the half with the inlet pipe. Both air vents are open and whistling, but neither units heat up. I'm ready to call in a pro if the situation warrants it, but I wanted to double check on obvious steps I should take before doing that.

Last edited by BluedEyedGirl; 01-17-06 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-17-06, 07:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Air vents

If they are adjustable vents, usually indicated by numbers around them near the top of the vent, loosen the screw & set the vent to a higher number.

Old 01-18-06, 08:03 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks, most aren't numbered but the two in question are. I fiddled with them and got them opened up and had that satisfying whistling sound followed by much more heat than usual last evening, with both at around 80% or higher heated up, but now they're both back to almost totally cold while the rest of the house is toasty. They're both set to be fully open right now because I'm not clear on what situations call for different fractions... I didn't expect my victory to be so shortlived...

Old 01-19-06, 06:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Vents

At this point, not being all that well versed in steam, about all I can suggest is to turn the heat off, allow all radiators to cool, & remove, disassemble, clean, reassemble & re-install the vents. You may have gotten some junk (rust etc.) in them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: