HW baseboard retrofit

Old 01-18-06, 12:21 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
HW baseboard retrofit

I am in the process of retrofitting my existing home from electric baseboard to hot water bbd. The boiler and circ's are in. I have (1) radiant zone which is up and ready to run, and (3) basebd zones. I've researched piping systems for quite some time and I was going to go with a reverse return system but realized that it uses an awful lot of pipe. I'm now leaning towards PEX with a 3/4" supply and return to a 2,3 or 4 circuit manifold. The supply (or return) manifold would have adjusting valves for each circuit. From the manifold(s) I will be using 1/2" PEX to each baseboard. (The reason I am using PEX is because I will need to snake it thru existing joist spaces etc).
1) Do you think this is a feasible system and if so,
2)Would you put the adjustable valves on the supply or return manifold, or
both?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Old 01-18-06, 01:11 PM
Who
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
It would be far easier to answer if we had a picture of sketch of the boiler and manifold piping. The location of the circulators is important relative to where you locate any control valves. I would home run all your circuits to the manifold and take advantage of minimal PEX fittings.

Old 01-19-06, 06:42 AM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
HW Baseboared retrofit

I'll try to explain my set-up: I have (4) zone circulators and a primary circulator. Ea of the (4) zone circulators is mounted near the boiler.
The BDRM zone will consist of (3) basebd circuits, ((2) BDRM's and a bath). The manifold will be within 5' of the circ and each circuit will be approx 25' in long.
The Fam Rm zone will feed basebd (or maybe a recessed fan coil unit for faster heat recovery). This is approx 40' from the zone circ and will be piped direct to the basbd (or fan coil) w/3/4" pex.
The "other zone" will have (5) basebd circuits. The manifold will be approx 30' from the zone circ w/ each circuit being from 5' to 15' away from the manifold.
The reason for the long runs is i'm limited as to how I run my piping (most of these areas are finished. None of it is "as the crow flies"
I hope this helps you to understand my set-up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: