oil furnace: fluctuating hot water

Old 01-22-06, 11:26 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
oil furnace: fluctuating hot water

Our hot water comes from our oil furnace, but a few months ago the hot water began running lukeware after 60 seconds, before finally heating up again after 5 minutes. We had the coil cleaned and the mixing valve replaced with no improvement. One of the two plumbers we've had look at the system suggested that the coil may be so scaled up that cleaning only marginally helps. He suggested that replacing the coil may solve our problems. This will cost $1000, and seems like too much money for something which 'might' work.

One thing I've noticed is that our furnance does not kick on while running the hot water until 5 minutes later, which coincides with the slow return of hot water. Well scale cause this? And if so, why didn't cleaning the coil remove the scale buildup? Perhaps the mechanism responsible for firing up the furnace is malfunctioning?

Anyone hear of anything like this with an oil furnace?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-06, 12:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Lack of hot water

I moved your question because you are dealing with a boiler.

Was the coil cleaned internally or externally? If the flow is still the same & the coil was cleaned internally, either the scale was not removed by the cleaning or the problem is external to the coil. Sometimes flushing the boiler &/or adding a boiler treatment compound such as "8-Way" or "Hydronic Formula #5" will help a coil which is dirty on the outside.

Old 01-30-06, 06:51 PM
B
Same Problem

I have a NTI boiler oil fired. It is 1 year old. It has always been acting this way. I turn on the hot water and it fades to cool. I turn it off and back on same thing. If I do this about 15 times eventually it will stay hot. This is happening on all taps. The mixer has been turned on all the way and then off. I have in floor heating, not sure how many zones. The internal temperature settings are correct. It is driving me crazy.

Old 01-31-06, 06:07 AM
Who
Hey, Kit, I'm not sure that $1,000 is a good price for replacing a coil because I am not in the trade, but if that is the going rate you may want to consider getting an indirect fired water heater. It will actually cost even more than that but it would alleviate your hot water supply problems and also save you fuel. It would use your boiler to heat up a hot water tank (provided you have the space of course).

Old 01-31-06, 08:11 PM
H
Originally Posted by KitLemmonds
Our hot water comes from our oil furnace, but a few months ago the hot water began running lukeware after 60 seconds, before finally heating up again after 5 minutes. We had the coil cleaned and the mixing valve replaced with no improvement. One of the two plumbers we've had look at the system suggested that the coil may be so scaled up that cleaning only marginally helps. He suggested that replacing the coil may solve our problems. This will cost $1000, and seems like too much money for something which 'might' work.

One thing I've noticed is that our furnance does not kick on while running the hot water until 5 minutes later, which coincides with the slow return of hot water. Well scale cause this? And if so, why didn't cleaning the coil remove the scale buildup? Perhaps the mechanism responsible for firing up the furnace is malfunctioning?

Anyone hear of anything like this with an oil furnace?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
check the well on your aquastat that might have some scale on it

Old 02-01-06, 06:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Question $1000?

Sounds awfully high to me to replace a domestic coil. I would agree with Who on the idea of a indirect. I have one on my boiler & love it.