Boiler won't start

Old 01-22-06, 03:15 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Boiler won't start

We have a Weil-McLain boiler and a Beckett burner. On top of the burner is this small gray box with a red re-start button and on the side is a red indicator light that came on some time today. I cannot find any information in the boiler literature that tells me what the indicator light could be indicating. The thing is that the boiler will not start. We have sufficient oil in the tank. I would rather not call a serviceman if it's something that I can do myself. Thanks for your help.

Old 01-22-06, 05:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Boiler won't start

The red light indicates the bunrer is locked out on "failure to ignite" safety. This could be due to any number of problems. One thing you can try is pushing the red button on the burner ONE TIME ONLY. The burner should run. If it fails to ignite, it will shut off in 15-45 seconds. If it actually fires & then shuts off in about a minute you probably have a flame detection problem. How long has it been since the boiler was professionally serviced?

Old 01-22-06, 05:21 PM
T
Boiler won't start

Grady -- I pushed the red button and the boiler started. A puff of white smoke came out of the boiler. Scary! Now there's an oil smell in the basement. The boiler was last serviced in June '05. Is this usual after the boiler has been off for a number of hours?

Old 01-22-06, 05:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Smoke

The smoke was probably due to excess oil in the chamber after it failed to light on it's own. Presuming it is still running, I suggest you contact a service company tomorrow to have them come out & check things out. If you are not familiar with oil burners, I don't suggest you work on it yourself. There are a number of critical setttings & a high (10,000+) voltage ignition transformer which should be checked as well as the cleanliness of the fuel system.

Old 01-23-06, 07:06 AM
T
Wink

We called for a serviceman yesterday and he never showed. Thanks to your suggestion, the boiler started and the house warmed up. I'll call again today to have it checked out and hope that we have better luck. Thanks again for your help. Lillian

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: