Grady and Fixitron

Old 01-24-06, 12:21 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Grady and Fixitron

I just wanted to update both of you and let you know where I stand now with my zone issue. I was purging that zone the other day for a couple minutes, and after a while hot water was circulating the loop and coming out the drain. After closing the drain valve, and re-opening the balancing valve, the return pipe started to get cool again. I believe the water is backflowing thru my zone. There is a stop valve and then a reducing (red bell) valve coming in on the feed keeping the pressure steady. What would cause the feed to be backflowing thru my zone? Remember I have ruled out the circulator as the issue. The upstairs zones get hot and it's not thru convection.

Old 01-24-06, 04:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Question

Is the boiler fed on the supply or return? If it is fed on the supply, when purging you will get cool, then hot, then cool to cold water out of the valve when purging. If your system is set up this way & you did not get cold water after purging a while you could still have air. I hate boilers fed on the supply side.

Old 01-24-06, 04:23 PM
R
It is fed on the return, the stream of hot water after a couple minutes was steady.

Old 01-24-06, 04:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Grrrr

Blows that theory out of the water. In my mind, I still keep coming back to air in the system. I don't know if they would help or not but if you can host some pics of the boiler & nearby piping & provide a link here, maybe something will jump out at me or Fixitron.

Old 01-24-06, 05:28 PM
R
I would bet against the air in the line because i had it running for 5-10 minutes, the loop isn't that big. I can try to post pics, but I know that hot water is getting all the way thru the system from the supply.

Old 01-24-06, 05:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Lightbulb Another thought

If you have a monoflow tee configuration feeding the baseboard, you cannot purge air at the boiler. A monoflow tee setup can be identified by a main pipe running in a loop & two tees off of that pipe to each section of baseboard.

Old 01-24-06, 06:46 PM
R
Photos posted

Guys,

I've posted some pics on the following link:

http://www.geocities.com/brownfantas...l5/boiler.html

The top left pic is the supply line after the zone valve as it leaves the boiler room for zone #3.

The top right pic is an overall picture of the boiler.

The bottom left pic is the return line for zone #3, showing the stop valve for the feed, the reducing valve, the WATTS PB56, and the Taco circulator below on it's way into the boiler.

The bottom right pic shows where the return line for zone #3 comes back into the boiler room. This is where I believe I am getting a backflow of cold water.

Old 01-24-06, 08:42 PM
purging air

Grady, it appears that the loop is a straight loop of 3/4" copper pipe with finned radiation all in series. The loop leaves the boiler room, goes down through the slab and somehow comes back up and through the wall to the next room? then it continues along the wall of that room and into the laundry room, around the laundry room and back into the main basement room again, then back to the boiler. On the supply is a Honeywell zone valve that Rootin420 says is operating as it should. There does not appear to be any shutoff or check valve in the supply line. The return line has a Watts brass combo purge and balancing valve. The balancing valve is a ball valve which is designed to isolate the loop. I had Rootin420 purge the system by raising the system pressure to just below 30 psi, shutting the balancing valve and purging with a short hose into a bucket. A little air has come out, but he has purged 5 gallons or so at a time without getting any slugs of air or getting hot water all the way around.
Rootin420 reports that there are no bleed valves or any kind of valves anywhere else on the loop. The loop is essentially level all around the basement, about 4 or 5 feet below grade.
This problem with no heat in this loop started about two weeks after Rootin420 replaced the thermostat. The thermostat works, the circulator works and there is normal heat in the other two zones.
I cannot imagine what else it might be.

Old 01-25-06, 10:00 AM
R
Just to clarify, when i purge the zone for a couple minutes, I do get heat thru the zone. Once I close the drain valve, and open the balacing valve, it seems cold water is backflowing thru the system and keeping it from circulating.

Old 01-25-06, 11:58 AM
R
Update

Well I think I have some good news. After tinkering again with the system and purging it for a couple minutes, I tried to make sure the flow kept going in the right direction by closing the feed valve, closing the drain valve, and opening the balancing valve in the correct order. After that didn't work, I resorted to cave-man tactics and rapped the circulator a good couple times after i heard it bubbling. The circulator happened to kick on with a louder buzzing this time, and heat started flowing!!! Amazing what can happen when you resort to a good old thrashing of mechanical devices. Not sure that this is a "fix", but at least I know I can buy a new circulator and solve the problem. Thanks guys.

Old 01-25-06, 04:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A man after my own heart

There is one language ALL things understand & I speak fluently. That language is hammer.

Old 01-29-06, 02:27 PM
R
Thanks

Grady & Fixitron, thank you both for your help in getting me thru this ordeal. After installing a new Taco circulator, I have all 3 systems up and running. I guess the old one was working, but not at full capacity. Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: