Repressurizing a closed circuit hot water heating system

Old 02-01-06, 10:15 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Repressurizing a closed circuit hot water heating system

I have a closed circuit hot water heating system with an expansion tank on the line just after the oil furnace. While attempting to bleed the line to remove air that was causing the expansion tank to rattle, I inadvertently lowered the pressure on the system from 25 PSI to 14 PSI. The system is up and running and water is ciculating through the 1 and only zone in a 2 story house. The heat comes up but slowly.

How do I go about raising the pressure in the system back to 25 PSI?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 02-01-06, 10:28 AM
Who
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
Why do you need 25psi? Does each floor have some exceptionally tall ceilings? <g>

14 psi should be ideal, although if your tank is a bladder type / Extrol tank it should be filled (while disconnected) at 14 psi as well.

Old 02-01-06, 02:18 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Who, thanks. The expansion tank on my system is a bladder type, but I know that it doesn't need to be disconnected in order to be pressurize (based on observing my service contractor).

Old 02-01-06, 05:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Bladder Tank

The tank does not need to be disconnected to check the pressure but the pressure on the system does need to be relieved. Who is right about the amout of pressure. 14# should be plenty for nearly any two story house. On a couple of systems on which I work, I have to run them up to 17-18# but they are the exception. 25# is way too high.

Old 02-02-06, 06:18 AM
Who
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
Grady, your splitting hairs methinx. Pressure relieved vs disconnected? Hrmmm, shall we agree on isolated? ;-)

Morgoth, if your service contractor isn't isolating the expansion tank from the heating system, he or she cannot properly set the tank's pressure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: