New Boiler, New Zone Valves, need help

Old 02-08-06, 06:01 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New Boiler, New Zone Valves, need help

I feel stupid for not figuring this out, allthough I have forgotten alot of this job in the last 6 years of not servicing anymore. I installed a new Utica boiler and 2 new 571 taco zone valves. I installed 1 new tstat (old subbase) 1 existing tstat still installed. I had my former boss help me over the phone and I burnt one aquastat transformer. I replaced the aquastat and had my former boss come over and figure out the wiring. The system has 2 tstats and 2 zone valves, 1 circ. pump. I think the aquastat is a L8148E,J. We wired it last night and it appeared to work, when i returned 3 hours later it was ice cold in the house. Here is my situation, when I control the tstats the circ. pump does come on. The zone valves do not open for some reason. I cannot fully remember the wiring w/o looking at it. The red from each stat goes to term 1 on each zone valve. The whites from the stats go back to the boiler and i think are tied to "t". The green from boiler ground are tied to 2 on zone valves. 3 on each zone valve are tied together as a red wire and go back to the boiler at "tv". That should make the zone valves parallel. I checked out Taco.com and got a schematic of the wiring, allthough I am gun shy now. $130 was salty and I do not want to replace another aquastat. Can you help me figure out why this is not working as it should? It will be atleast 2 days before my former boss will return to help me and this next time he may charge me. I want to solve it before I have to pay more money. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-08-06, 03:19 PM
As long as there are only two zone valves (more would require an external transformer) and one circulator:
run a two wire thermostat cable from the L8148E to the area of the zone valves
red wire from each thermostat goes to #1 on respective Taco 571
white wires from both thermostats both connect to white wire on cable that you added, going to L8148E
red wire on cable that you added, going to L8148E, is connected to #2 on both zone valves
At the L8148E, connect the white, of the cable added, to 'TV' on L8148E
At the L8148E, connect the red, of the cable added, to 'T' on L8148E
the circulator is wired to C1 & C2 of the L8148E
some digital thermostats may require a resistor to be added in certain situations with zone valves. Read the instructions if you have a digital thermostat.

Old 02-08-06, 03:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
L8148e

I may be mistaken but I don't think the transformer on the aquastat will handle two Taco zone valves. It will handle two Honeywells but I don't think it will carry two Tacos.

Old 02-08-06, 07:02 PM
I think Grady is right. I never use the aquastat transformer for zone valves because of the problem you already had. I would suggest adding a 40 va transformer and wiring just like the diagram on the tag that comes with the Taco zone valve.

Ken

Old 02-08-06, 07:04 PM
Yes, Grady is correct.
I checked the specs and two Taco zone valves will exceed the max. load for the L8148E, whereas it can handle two of the Honeywell 8043 valves.
Corrected directions are:

You will need to add a 24 VAC transformer somewhere near the boiler.
All of the white wires from the thermostats connect with one side of that transformer.
The red wire from each thermostat connects to terminal #1 on each respective zone valve.
Connect all terminal #2s (on zone valves) together and connect to the other side of the transformer. Terminal #2s also connect to 'T' of the L8148E.
Connect all terminal #3s (on zone valves) together and connect them to 'TV' of the L8148E.
The circulator connects to C1 & C2 on the L8148E.

Old 02-08-06, 07:16 PM
O
Zone Valves

Ok I will print out the instructions and see what it gets me. Is there any need for any relays, just the transformer.

Old 02-08-06, 07:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Relays

No need for any relays, just the transformer & wiring as Fixitron stated. Hopefully, you haven't fried the internal transformer on the aquastat.

Old 02-08-06, 09:40 PM
O
Zone Valves

It should be ok. I fried one while on phone with former boss helping me troubleshoot wiring. I do not need to pay another $130 for a new aquastat. I got the first one covered under warranty. So this one has to continue to function. I'll let you know how I make out.

Old 02-09-06, 05:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
ofcr2005

We're looking forward to reading your report. Please keep us up to speed on your progress or lack thereof.

Old 02-13-06, 07:06 PM
O
Lifesaver

grady, you guys are lifesavers, thank you so much. I finally got the chance to wire the system using your directions. It worked, I was so happy, so was my buddy; the homeowner. I felt pretty stupid when I could not figure out why it was not working. I guess being out of the HVAC/R service tech job for 6 years has hurt me. I can still install, and service some, but I guess control wiring has slipped me. I now protect the public as a Police Officer, no need for HVAC in that job. I will call on you guys more often when I run into a problem. Thanks Again.

Old 02-14-06, 06:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
ofcr2005

If I'm ever in Williamsport & get stopped for going a bit too fast, I'll just tell 'em I know ofcr2005 & he said it was ok. Right?

Old 02-18-06, 11:24 PM
O
Anytime

You've got a "get out of traffic citation" anytime in my area. My HVAC degree now just looks good hanging on my wall. It was useful at one time. Hey kidding aside, you guys are great. Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: