Please Help! Service tech no help and snow coming!

Old 02-10-06, 07:25 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Please Help! Service tech no help and snow coming!

I called my oil company, the first floor of my home was not staying warm and they sent out a service guy. He proceded to tell me that my heater is not supposed to kick on every time the thermostat goes below the set temp, even though it has always worked this way. He then charged me 200.00 (even though I have a service contract) to change the batteries in my thermostat. I still have this problem! I bought a new thermostat and it still is not working.

My heater is on the first floor summer/winter usage, continuous loop with a thermostat downstairs and an expansion tank and thermostat up stairs. When the temp up stairs drops, the heater kicks on and ALL of the registers in the house get hot. It does not happen when the temp down stairs drops. I hear a click, but then nothing. Are there 2 circulators? Anybody know what the problem is? Please help, I don't want to pay another 200.00 for batteries and still have no heat down stairs.

I am desperate. We are expecting a lot of snow tomorrow and I just don't know what else to do.

Last edited by sb1226; 02-10-06 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-11-06, 05:42 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well you would have to provide pictures of the boiler if you wanted us to answer the question about how many circulators you have. If you have 2 zones, then you would either have 2 circulators or zone valves. If all the radiators in the house get hot when the second floor thermostat calls, I would doubt that you have 2 circulators. If you have 2 zone valves, the above could be possible. Only you know how the system has worked in the past. It is not that unusual for someone to relocate a thermostat and leave the old one on the wall instead of fixing the hole. It then is a dummy thermostat and while you can still use it as a thermometer, it won't control the system. As long as the house gets heat when one thermostat calls, the impending snow (which is getting less ominous as it approaches) won't freeze any pipes or leave you stuck in a freeezing house. Post back with any specific questions or information you know that may help us help you.

Ken

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: