Should I add a manifold?

Old 02-13-06, 09:31 AM
miller25758
Visiting Guest
Should I add a manifold?

I have roughed in my basement to add in a third zone to my hot water heating system – Burham boiler, one circ pump, three Taco valves on the returns. Actually, I added the third zone years ago, I have just completely gutted and rebuilt the basement and need to tie the zone back in.

I am wondering if I should put in an actual three tap manifold on the supply side. Like a 1.25 main with three Ύ” branch takeoffs. Currently my supply main (1”, maybe 1.25”) goes to a tee to handle the first and second floors (3/4” each leg). To handle the basement zone, I previously tapped off the main. Now, due to beams and walls, etc..I no longer have good access to that third leg.

So, I was actually thinking of just teeing in to the second floor leg with another 3//4” run. The basement zone (run) is not that long. From the planned second floor tee which is 5 feet from the boiler, I run 10 feet to the first section of baseboard, run through the 12 feet of baseboard, and then loop back to the boiler, say 30 feet. The whole run from the tee back to the boiler is approx. 50 feet.

The long winded question is, should I install a manifold to “balance” the flows or the tee will be just fine?

Thanks.

Old 02-13-06, 12:10 PM
Who
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
Questions for your question?

What is the heat loss for the new third zone? How many BTUs for the existing 2 zones? What the velocity of the branch you are thinking of teeing from?

Why no main to tap off? Is the boiler piped right into the walls?

Old 02-13-06, 06:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
My two Cents

1. Build the manifold
2. Scrap the zone valves & replace with a circ for each zone.

Old 02-13-06, 07:25 PM
Who
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
3. Puts the circs on that supply manifold right after the air eliminator/extrol (18" straight lead-in minimum - unless you get that sexy Spirovent).
4. Get a new pair of Grundfos 15-58 3-speed circulators so you can dial in the balance. The old circ can serve in emergencies. Leave in the built-in check flows so that you don't have any ghost flow issues.
5. Pat yourself on the back for doing things the right way.

That is if you want to do #1 and #2... ;-)

Old 02-14-06, 04:24 AM
miller25758
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Thanks guys for the input:

"Why no main to tap off? Is the boiler piped right into the walls?"

I took a look at it again last night, it's a bit tight, but I will put a new tap back in to the main to connect the third leg. When the day comes that I have to replace the boiler (hopefully not in the near future...just jinx'd myself) I'll go the circ route for each zone.

Thanks again !

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: