vibrating pipe noise from broiler

Old 02-15-06, 03:25 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
vibrating pipe noise from broiler

Hi, something very strange just happened. I was sitting in a room that is above and to the left of where the boiler is in the basement. Suddenly, I heard/felt major vibration of something (maybe pipes) somewhere in the vicinity of the boiler. The noise sounds like a jack hammer. I went down to the basement to see what is wrong. At first glance, I didn't notice anything. Then, I noticed a pool of water coming from the T shaped pipe (please see picture). Is something wrong? I am worry that something is going to blow. Is pipe vibration normal? Thank you.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...akingTpipe.jpg

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-06, 05:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 22 Votes on 20 Posts
Vibration

Great shot, thanks. The tee is a vented backflow preventer. It's purpose is to prevent the boiler water from flowing backward into the domestic water in case of a loss of pressure in the domestic line. If there was a loss of pressure in the incoming line, the backflow preventer, by venting boiler water out of the tee, prevented possible contamination of the domestic.
Once in a while the internal check valve in backflow preventers will go bad & water will leak out. Check the pressure on the boiler. It should be between 10 & 20 PSI. Also look at the relief valve on the boiler for any signs of rust or corrosion. If this release of water thru the backflow preventer becomes persistant, further investigation would be warranted, otherwise don't worry about it.

Old 02-15-06, 06:29 PM
N
pressure is around 20. relief valve looks ok. any thoughts about what might cause the vibration? Thanks

Old 02-15-06, 06:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Vibration

The vibration was cause by the discharge of water. It is possible, for some reason, you had a brief loss of water pressure in the line feeding the boiler. Sometimes, a slug of air in the boiler feed line will also cause the backflow preventer to vent.

Old 02-16-06, 03:41 AM
N
Thank you for your help. That loud noise really scared me. Glad it is nothing to worry about.

Old 02-16-06, 04:07 AM
You don't by chance have an oil fired boiler do you ??

Old 02-16-06, 05:15 AM
N
yes, it is an oil burner.

Old 02-16-06, 05:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Mattison

Curious as to why you asked if it were an oil fired boiler? Hoping to learn something.