hot water baseboard problems

Old 02-17-06, 12:00 PM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hot water baseboard problems

i have recently purchased an old house (200yrs) w/a hot water baseboard heat system, looks like it was updated in '97...and the boiler had work done to at time of purchase (new circulator and some valves replaced, so i am told). everything seemed alright for the first 2 weeks, we werent staying there yet so the heat was never above 60. there are 3 zones in the house...2 work fine, this third one has part of the zone upstairs and part downstairs. i noticed that the heat had stopped working in the downstairs. but the upstairs was fine, thought i may have to bleed the lines,(due to no heat and hammering noises in the pipes) got a key went to do it and the pipes were hot downstairs but they had gone cold upstairs, then the heat downstairs was going much higher than the thermostat, like 10-15 deg., attempted to bleed them again now it is hot as hell upstairs and downstairs is staying at the thermostat temp. both times i bled the lines i got no air, may have got like a seconds worth at one baseboard the first time. i have been reading this forum and trying to find some answer but i am striking out. ANYBODY have ANY suggestions?? appreciate the help

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-06, 12:09 PM
Who
For each zone, does the water flow directly out of the one end of a baseboard and into the next baseboard, or are the baseboards fed from tees from a main pipe (or two) for each zone?

Old 02-17-06, 01:04 PM
X
heat probs

the first floors baseboards come through the floor into the fins to the end of the "baseboard run" loop 180 run over top of the fins and back through the floor, the upstairs run in a series type circut

Old 02-17-06, 01:23 PM
Who
I'm actually questioning how the piping is handled below the floor. In a loop the water has to flow - it is essentially one tube like a hose, with some parts of the hose being the baseboard fin-tube. If the zone has branches then the water gets to decide where to go and it makes purging any air more challenging.

If you have 3 zones, there is a very strong chance that they will be loops. With a loop, the water gets no choices as to how it flows through the zone. If something impedes the flow, none of the rads get heat. Loops are nice for purging because you can do it from the boiler. If you have loops then why are only some rads heating? It doesn't make sense to me.

If the 3rd zone has branches then is it actually flowing? Quick way to find out is to measure or feel the return temps just before the zone tees back into the boiler circuit. If it is warm, then you'll have to figure out which of that zone's branches has air in it and how you can purge it out of there.

Does this make sense?

Old 02-17-06, 01:49 PM
X
baseboard issue

Yes, wht you are saying does make sense...i am pretty sure that it is looped, but i will look at the system a little more in depth and post what i find

Thank you for your time.

Old 02-20-06, 06:37 AM
X
Problem Solved

i have discovered the issue and have solved the problem, lets just say i spoke before thinking...

But thanks for your time

Old 02-20-06, 07:47 AM
Who
Would you mind saying what it was?

Old 02-20-06, 01:19 PM
X
dont hold it against me

i wasnt going to but since you asked...there is a 4th zone!!!

there is a little 2' baseboard in the upstairs bathroom, everything about it was different from the rest (minus the enternals) but the baseboard and the thermostat are a different style i glanced at it and wrote it off as being and electric baseboard...that night it was hot upstairs i had turned up that thermostat to see if the baseboard worked got side tracked, went back to bleeding the lines and had totoally forgotten that i had turned it up until i was on my way home.

So...all is well, and if i ever have to post anything here again dont hold this against me

Thank you

Old 02-20-06, 04:20 PM
Who
Thanks, that still serves all of us as a lesson and that's what's great about forums.

PS
That wouldn't even make it into my top 1000 blounders... ;-)

Old 02-20-06, 06:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
x3luke

I have to give you credit for fessing up to your mistake. I wish I could say I had never made similar goofs.