Serious Gas Combi-Boiler Leak

Old 02-17-06, 12:20 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Serious Gas Combi-Boiler Leak

Having had the hot water stop recently i have found a leak directly into the electrical part of our boiler. Its a halstead finest propane combi and the leak its seemingly coming from the 'domestic hot water flow switch' where it joins the large gold metal bit! for safety reasons this has made the whole boiler unusable and my plumber refuses to touch it. I need some advice on this if anyone can help please.

Old 02-17-06, 12:46 PM
Can you post a picture ?? Sounds like you're going to have to drain the system and replace the flow switch. If you're not up to it call an hvac contractor to do the work. Ask them ahead of time if they work on boilers such as yours.

Old 02-17-06, 12:48 PM
Who
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
If your plumber touches that boiler, it becomes his problem. Even if he fixes the current problem something else may fail because it had this leak.

How old is your combi? If its time is up, why not replace it rather than risk electrocuting someone?

From what you posted, I'd be more worried about someone willing to fix it than someone who won't.

Old 02-17-06, 01:28 PM
P
re:

its only about 3 years old from what i remember.

due to the layout of the electrical parts water from this leak has been missing all boiler related parts and flowing into the casing then out into the actual mains supply socket the whole unit is powered by so it'll be less likely an electrical problem with the boiler that follows this than that socket being potentially dangerous. the part in question and the others its directly connected to are in the documentation as bein a servicable group. the first plumber to have looked at it advised we contact the manufacturer for one of their engineers as he might have trouble finding parts. living in the UK and following recent changes regardin what people can have he is probably right and we'll end up with a new boiler. can anyone suggest a good propane combi-boiler for people with very little money to be throwing at it and with a very small house! 2 bedrooms 1 bathroom and a kitchen will be using it for heat. thats it.

thankyou for both previous comments

Old 02-17-06, 01:38 PM
Who
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
It's 3 years old? I would write a letter to the manufacturer and also to whomever it is that sold it to you or the previous owners.

That would be my first plan of attack. Who knows? Maybe it was a common problem and they already have a programme in place for correcting these?

It doesn't hurt to try. I once wrote to the president of a company that makes laser printers to ask him which one of the competitors' laser printers I should buy because their office sized printer with a 15,000 page per month capacity now needed a very expensive part ($400 U.S. parts only) after several years of use but only 4,500 pages. They sent a van to our home and repaired it for free.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: