slant fin baseboards or cast iron rads?

Old 02-18-06, 04:28 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
slant fin baseboards or cast iron rads?

greetings, our older home is in the process of a remodel (again). our new boiler is FHW. our 6 rooms all have slant fin baseboards. I am considering spending a little discretionary money and buying some used (pressure tested) cast iron radiators to be used in place of the baseboards for FHW. my question is will the heat be better? I grew up with cast iron radiators and remember loving them. Or is this a stupid idea. I live in NH, so the heat is essential. THANKS.

Old 02-18-06, 06:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Fin tube or Rads

My personal preference would be cast iron radiators. Due to their mass, they heat & cool slower than fin-tube baseboard. Baseboard heats almost entirely by convection where cast iron heats by both convection & radiation. As a bonus, when you come in chilled to the bone it's nice to be able to huddle close to a radiator to warm up quickly.

Old 02-18-06, 07:26 PM
Who
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
The fintube can be very comfortable, but to have them at their best you'll need constant circulation and outdoor reset.

Old 02-19-06, 08:05 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
With the cast iron rads would the A-Stat temp of High 180 and low 160 still remain the same settings? Now I am leaning towards the cast iron rads, but I need to learn to size them for my rooms. All my rooms are in the 14' x 12' range; give or take an extra foot or two at the most. Ceilings are all 8'.
THANKS

Old 02-19-06, 08:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Burnham's Heating Helper

Here is a link to a short form for calculating heat loss (as well as a lot of other helpful information) http://www.burnham.com/pdfs/htghelper.pdf

Old 02-19-06, 12:08 PM
Who
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
Bernard, slant fin has a good free heat loss program. Even though the CI-rads are labelled for the higher temps, try and use a lower design temp for your calculations.

Although an oversized boiler is bad, oversized radiators are good provided they are all oversized to the same degree.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: