Damper question again

Old 02-20-06, 01:59 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Damper question again

I asked this question a few weeks ago and got an immediate response. I relayed this info to the buyers of my house and they still are unclear.
I have a Utica Starfire 2 oil fired boiler. It does not have a damper on the smoke pipe. Here's what the manuf told me:
Some contractors/installers like them some say it doesn't make a
difference. I think your better off with one. Protects the flame from
a strong draft as to not get sucked off of the end of the burner and
impinge against the heat exchanger.

So do I really need one?

Thanx

Old 02-20-06, 05:09 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You said damper but described a barometric draft regulator. If you wonder whether you need a barometric draft regulator, you would need to know how much draft you had at the breech of the boiler. Not every boiler or furnace needs one. It is more related to the chimney than the heating unit. All a draft regulator does is let some room air into the chimney to kill the draft and feed the chimney suction with air that does not have to come through the boiler. If I don't have a draft of -.10 w.c. at the breech, I don't put a regulator on. They are noisy and usually rattle at burner start-up and add much more annoyance than they are worth. In a case of a 3 story chimney with a -.20 w.c. draft, a regulator is worthwhile. Check the records of the last technician who preformed a combustion analysis and see what the draft was at the breech. That will help you decide if a draft regulator would be warranted.

Ken

Old 02-20-06, 05:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Link to installation manual

Here is a link to the installation manual for the next version of Utica's Starfire boilers.
http://www.uticaboilers.com/pdfs/Manuals/SFH_W.pdf

Note figures 15 & 16 (page 13). They both show a barometric damper. Several places in the text, they refer to a Barometric damper. This being the case, I would say "yes, there should be one installed".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: