Smell from hot water faucet / boiler

Old 02-21-06, 10:33 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smell from hot water faucet / boiler

Hi Folks,

Recently moved into a new house and have started to notice a smell coming from the plughole and also the hot water boiler in one of the hand basins in an upstairs bathroom whenever the hot faucet is run. I can't quite determine the smell as often it smells like a bad drain but also a hint of burning??

There is no smell when cold water is run or indeed from any other sink / shower?

Any idea what may be causing this?

Thanks guys. It's driving me mad!!

Old 02-21-06, 02:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Smell

The smell in the water cannot be coming from the boiler. There may be something in the water which when heated emmits an odor. Some types of plastic pipes can also impart an odor to the water.

Old 02-22-06, 12:19 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks Grady. I don't think it's the water though, as I don't get the smell from any other faucets or showers. And as far as I can see, all the piping is the same to the other outlets.

I thought it may be a heating element problem, but again that doesn't explain why it's only from the one place. If it's a leaking pipe I'm sure I would have seen at least a small damp patch develop from downstairs. And also that wouldn't really explain the smell as it wouldn't be a sewage pipe!

Old 02-22-06, 04:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Smell

Since you only get it at one source, there has to be something diffferent about that one faucet. It could be the faucet itself. Many faucets look like metal but are just chome plated plastic. It could also be some of the materials used in the valves within the faucet. If the faucet were recently installed, there could be a trace of pipe joint compound, if it was used, flushing thru.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: