do i need monoflo fittings

Old 03-08-06, 08:44 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
do i need monoflo fittings

havn't been to this site in a while, but here is the question:
i am installing 4 flat panel radiators in my living room. i plan on using a two pipe system with each radiator connected separately to a separate supply and return line [each radiator has its own shut off valves]. this is to allow me to regulate flow separately at each unit [has to do with room dimensions and exposures etc]. with this set up, do i need a monoflo fitting for each radiator, or is there enough pressure differential between the supply and return line to lift hot water into the radiator ie does it get sucked into the radiator by the circulating pump alone [the pump is connected to the boiler return]. any advice is appreciated, as i have always found this forum helpful.

Old 03-08-06, 09:22 AM
Who
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
How is the rest of your hydronic system piped? Could you diagram it?

Old 03-08-06, 03:16 PM
R
sorry to be incomplete. this is a four zone system and this set of radiators will be the new fourth zone. the already existing three zones are single pipe. two of them use baseboards exclusively and work great. the third has panel radiators in a single pipe set up using a monoflo [and shut off valve] for each radiator and the system works great. if i wanted to i could use this kind of set up for the fourth zone, but then i know i would have to use 4 additional monoflo connectors. i was hoping that i could avoid adding the head pressure from the four additional monoflos needed for the new fourth zone were i to go with a single pipe system. i was hoping that a two pipe system [without monoflos] avoids the added head that 4 monoflos would add. i am starting to worry about my circulating pump capacity. i hope this is clear, but i suspect not. either one pipe or two pipes will work, but i want to do without additional monoflos if possible. soooo, will the pressure difference between separate supply and return lines of a two pipe system be enough to feed the 4 radiators without the oomph of a monoflo "T." or put another way: to "T" or not to "T", that is the question!

Old 03-08-06, 04:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Monoflo tees

Wanting to valve each radiator, I believe you will need the monoflo tees. Not being absolutely sure, I hope KField sees this thread.

Old 03-09-06, 05:40 AM
Who
Received 2 Upvotes on 1 Post
Monoflos aren't evil. They'll only be restrictive if the branch they are diverting to is closed. That said there is nothing stopping you from using parallel piping as you suggested for these 4 panel rads. The zone valve will direct the flow to that zone. You may need to provice some balancing between them.

Old 03-09-06, 08:20 AM
R
thanks, everybody.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: