Extrol expansion tank install problem

Old 03-08-06, 02:45 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Extrol expansion tank install problem

Hello,

I installed an Extrol model 30 expansion tank today on my home system. The old (5 yr old) Extrol model 30 developed a pin hole leak. I shut the system down, drained the boiler, unscrewed the old tank and screwed on the new. My problem is, the air purger on top of the fitting that the tank threads into will not stop weeping water. The boiler pressure is about 18 psi and the temp is 210f. the pre charge in the Extrol is 12psi. What do I do to get the weeping to stop???

Thanks,
Klammer

Old 03-08-06, 03:52 PM
Some air vents work better than others. Yours is finished. Replace it with a new one. In the mean time, you can close the cap on the top nad it won't leak until you get around to replacing it.

Ken

Old 03-08-06, 04:28 PM
K
Thanks Ken,

I did close the air bleed for a short period. When I opened the bleeder it let out some air then the water again. Will it hurt my system if I leave it closed??

Thanks,
Klammer

Old 03-08-06, 06:08 PM
No harm will be done if it is kept closed. Since you had the system open you may want to loosen the cap once a day for the next week to let out some of the new air that just got in.

Ken

Old 03-08-06, 06:31 PM
K
Thanks,

The weeping has seemed to stop. One thing that has me concerned is I noticed that my circulator pump (B&G) for my water heater (on demand) has been running for quite a while. I have never noticed it run this long befor and it feels hot to the touch. We have not used any water tonight for anything. Could this be a result of draining the system to replace the tank? Air in the system?

Thanks,
Klammer

Old 03-08-06, 07:05 PM
It is possible that the loop for the indirect water heater is airbound. It may need to be bled of air or purged. It will be a little difficult to explain how without seeing the piping. If there is a flow check in the line, you may try opening it and seeing if the flow will start itself.

Ken

Old 03-08-06, 07:46 PM
K
Ken,

I do have a B&G flo control above the circulator pump. I was able to open the valve manualy by turning the handle at the top of the flo control. When I did that air and water started to come out and the pipe on the exit side of the flo control going to the bottom of the water heater got warm then hot. I closed the handle and it seems to be working. I must have had air in there. I will watch it now to see if the circulator cycles off. Apparently, the thermostate on the water heater was calling for hot water but it couldn't get there because of the air block so the pump just kept on running. Does that sound right?

Thank you for the help, I'm learning about home repair as I go along. (Motorcycles & skis are a different story )

Klammer

Old 03-09-06, 06:51 AM
You got it right. The circulator needed just a little bit of relief from the pressure it takes to overcome the weight in the flow check. You should be OK now.

Ken

Old 03-09-06, 03:52 PM
K
Thanks Ken for the help.

Klammer

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: