Leaking backflow preventer

Old 04-08-06, 12:33 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Leaking backflow preventer

Recently had a leak with a boiler installed last fall. Traced the primary leak to the vent of a backflow preventer. This was a major leak that covered the entire floor around the boiler. However, I have found the new one does seep a little, and the installer said the illustration had a pipe running to a floor drain.

My question is: how much dripping is normal from these? Should I have it routed to an acceptable spot?

Question two concerns the pressure relief valve. In troubleshooting the problem I found that there was some water coming through the pressure-relief piping. This was not my main problem as a bucket under the pressure-relief piping had just a little water in it when the floor and part of the wall was covered with water.

Is a small amount of water from the pressure-relief valve to be expected or is there a problem with my installation? I do have an automatic feed.

Bill

Old 04-08-06, 07:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Water leaks

There should be no leakage from the relief valve. If the installer put in a low water cut off, as should have been done, replace the relief vavle (if the pressure is too high, find out why) & turn off the supply water to the reducing valve.
The backflow preventer should not drip on any kind of reguar basis either. Often the seals get damaged by rust or sand in the water. Seals are usually easy to replace & inexpensive. The piping to a floor drain is preferable but not absolutely needed as long as you put a bucket under the vent.

Old 04-09-06, 04:03 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Relief valve

Thanks, Grady.

I was suspecting the relief valve is weak. I have never noticed the boiler pressure reaching even 20 psi and the relief valve is marked 30.

Bill

Old 04-09-06, 07:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Relief valve

An easy way to check the accuracy of the boiler gauge is to check the pressure on the expansion tank (presuming it is of the bladder type) with a tire gauge. The pressure on the tank will not be lower than that on the system.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: