No Hot Water - Oil-Fired Boiler

Old 04-16-06, 07:49 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy No Hot Water - Oil-Fired Boiler

Hi,

The house is about 4 years old and I've lived here for about 2. Hot water and Central Heating is oil-fired. The Central Heating is working fine but there's no hot water. The inlet pipe to the hot water tank is hot but the outlet is cold. I tried shutting off the water valve supplying the radiators hoping that all hot water would be forced through the water tank but that didn't help. Any ideas? Does the hot water tank need to be replaced? If so, how much (in Euros) might it cost?

Thanks

Old 04-16-06, 04:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 25 Posts
No hot water

You say the inlet to the hot water tank is hot but the outlet cold. Presuming this to be an indirectly heated tank, I suspect the circulator to be the problem.

Old 04-17-06, 01:32 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Grady.
OK as you might guess, I'm not an expert.
If by "indirectly heated" you mean that the hot water is in a closed system and runs through a pipe "coiled" inside the water tank and the heat then transfers to the water in the tank, then YES!
What is the "circulator" and how can I do further checks? What's involved in replacing it?

Old 04-17-06, 05:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 25 Posts
Indirect

You do indeed have an indirect. The circulator is a pump in the line, usually near the boiler. Some pics of the system could be a big help. You can host them on photobucket or a similar site & provide a link here.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: