Target wall crack

Old 04-25-06, 01:01 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Target wall crack

okay, finally after 20ish years my boiler now has a cracked target wall. horizontal crack full width of wall, very low on wall. new boilers are expensive but do pay for themselves no doubt. for 2 times the price of fix, can buy new boiler. Any recommendations brand wise out there.
thanks, new homeowner needs help.

Old 04-25-06, 02:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
New boiler

There is a lot of good equipment out there, some equipment I don't like at all, & some I like a lot.
The most important thing for you to do at this point is to perform a Manual J heat loss calculation. There is a very good one available for about $50 at http://www.hvaccomputer.com.
This is the best $50 you will spend for the whole job.
After you find out how much boiler you need, I will be glad to provide you with some suggestions & provide links to boiler manufacturers' web sites.

Old 04-26-06, 05:54 AM
C
Grady, i have done the heat loss calculation and need to stay around 104BTU. Also....i can't seem to find anything that gives me advantages/disadvantes of steel vs cast iron. Any help you could give would be helpful. So far 3 of the 6 quotes i have received are on units that won't fit the space w/proper clearance...i'm just a little hesitant on those...duh.

Old 04-26-06, 02:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Boilers

I much prefer cast iron because they hold up better & their efficiency seems to be more stable over time. The one cast iron boiler I do not like at all is Weil-McLain since they are put together with what Weil-McLain likes to call "elastomeric seals" which is just a fancy name for rubber. For my money push nipples are far superior to seals, gaskets, o-rings or whatever name someone wants to use. You can get cast iron push nipples or steel push nipples depending on the boiler manufacturer. In principle, I would prefer cast but one of my favorite boilers uses steel push nipples.
I strongly suggest a boiler with an indirect water heater.
Some good boilers for this type of application are Crown's CT series, Burnham's MPO, & Buderus' G115.

Old 04-27-06, 06:53 AM
C
Thanks for the info. Due to space constraints it looks like i maybe going with a NewYorker APU unit. I looked at the Crown TWZ and the Burnham PV series. they won't fit the space w/proper code clearance. The Crown CT is too wide and don't have room for a water heater. Total width of the unit cannot exceed 26" incl clearance. Wish i could find a cast iron unit that would fit.
thanks grady.

Old 04-27-06, 02:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Boiler width

In most areas, clearances to combustables can be reduced by
1/2 if a piece of sheet metal is attached to the wall & spaced out 1" from the wall. Just checked Crown CT & the boiler is 25" wide. Bummer. The Buderus is also too wide. I know I've see a narrow (+/- 18") cast iron boiler but for the life of me I can't remember who made it. In any case I wish you well with your new boiler.

Old 04-28-06, 05:51 AM
C
Grady, found Weil McLain WGTO3 that will fit. looks like its between that and the NYAPU. $500 more to go with cast iron...same BTU w/slightly higher efficiency...seems like the way to go. time to bargain on price.

Thanks for all your thoughts....i really like this web-site.
carolyn.

Old 04-28-06, 02:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Other choices

I found two Peerless boilers which will fit. They are the "ECT" & "WBVT" series boilers. I prefer either one, especially the ECT, over the Weil-McLain. I've had way too much bad luck with W/M.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: