Replacing Automatic Air Vent

Old 05-03-06, 08:02 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NE Massachusetts
Posts: 202
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing Automatic Air Vent

I need to replace a leaky automatic air vent on an oil-fired hot water baseboard system. I plan to shut off the boiler for a few hours and allow the system to cool and the pressure to drop down. I know I need to drain water out until the pressure gauge shows a zero reading. I could use the pressure relief valve to do this but in the past when I've tripped relief valves I've had problems with them not sealing properly and continuing to drip and dribble. Can I instead use the drain valve on the bottom of the boiler that is equipped with a garden type faucet? I realize this might not seat also but figured I could just put a cap on it to seal it off it it does leak.
Old 05-03-06, 09:01 AM
shacko's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Baltimore County Maryland
Posts: 2,002
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Yes you can. Luck.
Old 05-03-06, 05:52 PM
Grady's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Delaware, The First State
Posts: 12,682
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts

That is the purpose of the valve you mentioned.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: