Crown AWI128 Boiler

Old 05-10-06, 06:11 PM
badchad
Visiting Guest
Crown AWI128 Boiler

I believe that I have posted this question here but I would like to try this again.
I have a Crown AWI128 (Electronic Pilot) that has a noisy burn (sounds like a jet plane). The noise is caused by the flame burning inside of the venturi. It does not happen on all ports (4 total) sometimes 1 2 or 4.
My propane guy has checked pressures at the house (11 inches)
Going into the gas control for the boiler (10.5 inches) and on the manifold side of the gas control for the boiler (10.5 inches)
The 50mm high altitude burners have been cleaned but have a few cracks.
I've noticed with this happens I can hear following:

The damper close
The click of the pilot burner assembly
The a poof like letting to much gas into your bbq and them lighting it.

This problems does not seem to happen all the time.

Could it be an air issue?

The boiler is in a basement (it has ran fine for 3 years) but recently have have finished the basement.

Thanks,

Chad Newman

Old 05-10-06, 08:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Noisy burners

Having the same pressure on both sides of the gas valve sounds fishy. There's hardly a gas valve out there which does not cause some restriction. If your propane guy is using a dial type gauge, I would question it's accuracy. The cracks could for sure have an influence on how the burners burn. Has anyone done a complete combustion analysis & if so, what were the results? I think, in addition to the burner cracks your air/fuel mixture may be set incorrectly.
You say it won't do it all the time. Try to have other propane appliances running at the same time to see if you can make it misbehave. If you can & consistantly, you have a gas pipe size problem. The pressures need to be checked with a full load on the gas system.

Old 05-10-06, 09:26 PM
badchad
Visiting Guest
Grady...thanks,

I guess my point on the gas valve is that the pressures are within around 10 inches as per the manual.

There is no way to adjust the air on the unit.

No combustion analisys had been done.

The only other applicance that we have that uses gas in the oven.
The noise still occurs whether the oven is in use or not.

Thanks again

Old 05-11-06, 05:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Noisy Burners

Without data I'm guessing. Only other thing I can think of offhand is: Are the orifices correct?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: