I have to add water daily.

Old 05-13-06, 12:32 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have to add water daily.

I have a Utica Boiler steam system with cast iron radiators for my home heating system. Lately, I have had to add water to the system almost daily. This doesn't seem right. You should only have to add water once or twice a month, right? The temp/pressure gauge doesn't seem to be working either. Would that be the cause? I do blow the system down once a week like it says to. I don't believe the previous owners were as dilligent. One plumber suggested adding an automatic water feed but the boiler is at least ten years old and has never needed one. This is getting pretty frustrating. I am skilled enough combined with my father who is a pipefitter to repair the situation but we need to figure out the correct solution. Any suggestion, tips or comments would be greatly appreciated.
And finally, the system was cleaned by a proffessional this winter, so it isn't dirty. At least that is what I tell myself. Thank you in advance. Tony

Old 05-13-06, 01:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Adding water

I hate to state the obvious but you have a leak. Leaks can be a bear to find at times. There is a very good possibility the water is evaporating before it can drip. Look for rust on the piping & under the boiler. I have had to strip off the boiler jacket to find leaks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: