no hot water - oil boiler

Old 06-02-06, 07:16 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question no hot water - oil boiler

I have a 4 year old utica bc series oil fired boiler which is the source for my hot water and baseboard heating. suddenly, I have lost all hot water. The heat still works fine. Also, when I raise the water temperature setting the burner kicks on for a brief period and then shuts off. Any ideas on the problem? (does it have something to do with sensing the amount of water circulating or the water thermostat working improperly?)

Old 06-03-06, 07:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
No hot water

Before I can offer some ideas, I need answers to a couple of questions:
(1) Do you have a tank external to the boiler which stores the hot water or is your boiler equipped with a tankless coil?
(2) Is the water not hot or do you have no flow out of the spigot when you turn on the hot water?
(3) If you turn up the heating thermostat do you get heat?
(4) Do you have a voltmeter & know how to use it?

Old 06-04-06, 06:51 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1) There is no external tank-- it uses a tankless coil.

2) the water comes out, but it is not hot- its about room temp.(it gets a little bit warmer sometimes midstream if left on for a bit, then goes back to room temp.)

3) the heat does work when the thermostat is turned on/up.

4) yes I do have a voltmeter and know how to use it.

Thanks

Old 06-04-06, 07:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
No hot water

Having a tankless coil, my best guess would be a crapped up coil. If you have plenty of flow, the coil is likely fouled on the outside, presuming the boiler is as hot as it should be (160).

Another possibility: If you have a mixing or tempering valve, it could be malfunctioning & feeding too much cold into the hot. An easy check for this is to feel the pipe coming into the "Hot" port of the tempering valve. If it is quite hot, there is a strong possibility the tempering valve is faulty.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: