WM VHE Boiler Won't Power On

Old 09-01-06, 08:49 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
WM VHE Boiler Won't Power On

I've got a Weil McClain 100K BTU NG boiler that will not power on, by power on I mean that the light on the White Rogers HSI Module does not come on. Normally I would come on and blink for a few seconds and then go off. I tested for power with a volt meter at both of the transformers and both of them show current (by the meter lighting up). I think I have it narrowed down to the WR Ignition control module, but far from positive. Any tips / advice would be great!

Old 09-02-06, 06:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Won't power up

Not knowing the sequence of operation makes it a bit tough but if there is an exhaust blower, it usually comes on before anything else. Check for power to the blower motor. If you have no motor but do have a damper in the exhaust at the top of the boiler, it must open before ignition takes place. Check for power to it. The damper motor is probably 24 volts.

Old 09-04-06, 10:11 AM
D
Thanks for the reply. It actually has a blower, no damper. I actually got a little ambitious and pulled apart the White Rogers Hot surface ignition module, the board is fried. The whole board is white except one little area around a few capacitors that is dark brown so I guess I'll be replacing the HSI module. The newer model that I'll be putting in also seems to have a much better diag system. The old one basically said working or not working - not telling what wasn't working. Since I actually also found the fan control center dirt cheap I'll actually be replacing that too. I'm actually going to be replacing a bunch of unnecessary stuff while I'm at it. I figure the boiler is 20 years old anyway so i'm going to throw in a new Taco circulator and if i can find the right model a new blower motor too. Crossing my fingers!

Old 09-04-06, 01:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
db23

On a 20 year old W/M, I feel you are just throwing good money after bad. I suggest replacing the whole thing.

Old 09-04-06, 03:36 PM
D
That's actually the same suggestion that was made to me when I had an HVAC company out to replace the burners on it. I actually do plan on replacing the whole thing within a year or two, so this is really just to hold it over until then. This is just caught in the middle of a whole house renovation of a two family rental that I own - which I'm doing all of the work myself - insulation, all new plumbing, electric, windows, sheetrock, you name it! House itself is from 1904.

I plan on replacing it with 2 smaller boilers but with all of the other work going on the extra $5-6k or so to do that just isn't there right now. And I really don't want to put a single new unit in just to pull it out a year or two down the road. So tossing a few hundred into this one just made sense to me when i broke it all down.

Old 09-04-06, 05:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Understood

The two boilers is a good idea. We all have budgets within we have to live.

Old 09-04-06, 07:52 PM
D
Grady, first thanks for the tips.

I have 1 more question. When I was cleaning the boiler out I managed to break the Norton Ignitor. I was looking at pricing for replacing it and I've noticed that I can get a White Rogers Nitride conversion kit for just a few bucks more. Would you suggest doing this or is now a bad time, since I'm really still troubleshooting the initial problem and this would just be 1 more thing that could go wrong? On top of the fact that it will be replaced in another year or two.

Old 09-05-06, 05:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ignitor

As you now know, silicon carbide ignitors are very fragile. I like the silicon nitride but sometimes you have to change the whole control package. I think for now, I would buy two of the original type (silicon carbide).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: