Refilling system/purging air

Old 09-03-06, 02:32 PM
Darrell99504
Visiting Guest
Refilling system/purging air

Hello,

I have a question about my hotwater boiler system. I started noticing some sound in my system a few months back indicating that I had some air in the system. Checking around the crawlspace I found that I had a leak in one of the zones. I am about to repair this section of pipe and while I am at it I am going to put in a new circulator pump, replace both air vents, and replace several gate type valves.

My questions are:
1. How do I refil the system properly
2. How do I purge the air from the system properly.

I have read several posts here and have studied my system layout but just want to make sure. Many posts talked about the bleeder screws at the radiators themselves but I do not have anything like that on any of mine. I do have hosebib style valves on each of my zones however and assume this is where I will be doing most of my purging. I have included links to pictures of my system for reference.

http://www.deafalaska.com/images/1.JPG
http://www.deafalaska.com/images/2.JPG
http://www.deafalaska.com/images/3.JPG

Thanks ahead for any and all assistance.
Darrell

Last edited by Darrell99504; 09-03-06 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-04-06, 08:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Refilling/Purging

Before starting any pipe work, shut off the power & water to the boiler. When replacing valves, I prefer full port ball valves instead of gates. After doing the pipe work, turn the water to the boiler back on slowly. This allows the air vents to expel air instead of it going into the zones. Once the boiler is up to operating pressure, open the water supply fully. To purge the loops, keep the power, all of the isolation valves, & the purge valves off. Open one zone valve manually & it's purge valve. Allow water to flow until you get no more bubbles. You can run the water into a bucket, to a sump pump or other drain or you can use a hose to the outdoors. When no more bubbles come out, close the purge & zone valves. Repeat with each zone. When done power up the boiler & open the isolation valves. All of this is a lot easier done than said.

Old 09-04-06, 10:36 AM
Darrell99504
Visiting Guest
Thank you very much for the response. I was on the right track per your reply except for the initial fill in which I would have not fired up the system until I had it full.

Your steps are very clear and will be performing them shortly. I need to get it done. It was 38 this morning.

Thanks again.
Darrell

Old 09-04-06, 12:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Darrell

Do not fire the system until the system is full & purged. Note on the initial fill, I said pressure, not temperature. This can & should be done with the boiler cold & the power off.

Old 09-11-06, 06:01 PM
Darrell99504
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the help Grady. Replaced all valves, leaky (pinhole) pipe, and purged all the air with no problems.

Darrell

Old 09-11-06, 06:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thumbs up Good Job

Glad all went well & that I was able to help in some small way.
Winter's a comin'. Stay warm.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: