advice please: cast iron v. wall hung

Old 09-05-06, 12:08 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
advice please: cast iron v. wall hung

i will install this myself. it will replace an oil fired boiler. i will use the old manifold and zone valves. i simply do not like the noise of the oil boiler. i can buy a 350 pound crown boiler for an easy replacement, basically put it into place on the concrete pedestal and hook up the 2 1 1/4" lines and the 3/4" supply line. easy hook up to chimney. i can also buy a trinity 80 pound wall hung boiler/domestic hot water unit for twice the money and a significantly harder installation. the cast iron unit is 80% afue; the wall hung is 92% afue. WE ARE USING LP. i suppose the cast iron will last about 25 years and i suppose the wall hung about 15 years. more repairs with the wall hung. i am inclined to go with the cast iron and pay 12% more per year for lp gas but gamble on longevity and fewer repairs. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-06, 03:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Saving money

Change the burner on the existing boiler if noise is the problem. A Riello BF series burner is extremely quiet. LP is going to eat your budget for lunch.

Old 09-06-06, 07:36 AM
R
thnaks grady
do you mean to keep the oil boiler and that there is a quiet blower/burner that can be replaced for the current burnham burner??? THAT IS COMPLETELY NEWS TO ME. PLEASE ADVISE. AND BY THE WAY, THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO ANSWER THESE POSTS. YOU HAVE ALWAYS BEEN GOOD ABOUT THAT.

Old 09-06-06, 02:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
OIl Burner

The Riello BF series burner is sealed combustion & much quieter than most other burners out there. One word of caution: If the noise is vent noise the Riello will not help that. What model Burnham do you have? What burner is on it? How about some pics of the boiler & vent system.
Here is a link to Riello:

http://www.riellousa.com/2_products/2_oil-burners/4a_bf40-balanced-flue-burner.asp

Always glad to help when I can.

Old 10-30-06, 07:33 PM
J
jcb
Thumbs down

we had trinity boiler installed two years ago but have shut it off 1/2 year ago because we have been unable to find anyone to service it