Circulator getting very hot...

Old 09-11-06, 07:04 PM
Darrell99504
Visiting Guest
Circulator getting very hot...

Hello all,

I'm having a problem with a circulator I replaced the other day. The one I took off was a TACO 007-F4 and I replaced it with a 007-F5. I was told this unit was the correct replacement. Looks the same and has the same specs so I assume I was told correctly.

The problem is that the motor body itself is getting very hot. Too hot to hold onto. Definately hotter that the water it is pumping. There are no shorts that I can see and the pump seems to be working correctly/pumping water through all the zones in my house. I do hear a hum coming from the pump. I did not hear this with the old one. No other noises.

Do you think I got a bad pump out of the box? I hooked it up per the instructions electrically, white to white, yellow to yellow... Although the instruction sheet said I could connect them either way..I did try both. I confess I do not know how hot my previous pump got while running but this just seems abnormal.

Thanks for the advice.
Darrell

Old 09-11-06, 07:26 PM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
My 007 gets similarly hot as well. Been fine for 3 years. Probably nature of the beast.

Old 09-11-06, 09:24 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
The motor has at least a 40 degree C. temperature rise rating and it could have a 50 degree C. rise rating. Since 40 degrees C. equals about 105 degrees F. if the space the motor is located is at 60 degrees F. then the normal temperature of the motor at full load would be about 165 degrees F., definitely too hot to hold on to.

Modern motors use materials that allow much higher operating temperatures than motors of many years ago. There are darn few motors today that will allow a person to hold their hand on them when running at rated load.

Old 09-11-06, 09:34 PM
Darrell99504
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys. Much appreciated. Just wanted to make sure.

Darrell

Old 09-11-06, 10:31 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
You're welcome.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: