Gas powered forced hot water boiler - soot problem?

Old 09-18-06, 01:27 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Gas powered forced hot water boiler - soot problem?

Streaks of black soot are appearing above my baseboards. At first I thought they needed cleaning, but I also heard that there might be a problem with the heating system itself.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Old 09-18-06, 07:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Soot

I seriously doubt what you are seeing is soot. It is most likely simply household dust. A quick & easy way to verify this is to remove the vent pipe from the boiler & look in it & at the interior of the boiler. If there is black soot there, you have a problem which should be looked at by a pro. If there is no soot in the boiler or flue pipe, what you are seeing on the wall is household dust & dirt. This is a very common occurance.

Old 10-16-06, 01:46 PM
L
How to clean inside baseboards?

Thanks Grady. What's the best way to clean the dust and dirt from between the metal "fins" inside the baseboard? I've tried gently vacuuming them, but that doesn't seem to do it.

Thanks,
Lynnyer

Old 10-16-06, 02:02 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

About the only way to go is with the vacuum and a big soft brush. With the vac hose on the bottom of the fins. You will also find you get more heat out of them if they are clean .

ED

Old 10-16-06, 02:26 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Evidence of soot indicates improper operation of the system. Check for soot and carbon deposits on the burner and in the combustion chamber. An annual service and inspection by a professional is recommended. Carbon monoxide is an odorless gas that can be deadly, thus professional service is recommended for preventive maintenance.

Soot is best removed from walls with a dry sponge. A dry sponge is a special chemically treated sponge that acts like a giant eraser and is available at janitorial supplies and in cleaning aisles at home centers and hardware stores.

Old 10-16-06, 07:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Dust/soot

I presume you looked in the vent pipe &/or boiler & found no soot. Ed is right about the brush & vaccuum. If you go to a hardware store & ask for a radiator brush you should get a brush about 18-24" long with a wooden or plastic handle. The brush part will be about 8" & narrow. They work quite well for your purposes.

Old 10-17-06, 06:19 AM
H
Basboard streaks

The streaks are from perfume in the scented candles you are burning

Old 10-17-06, 05:06 PM
A
put a bead of caulk along the top of the baseboard where it meets the wall. I found much of this stuff is dust that gets behind the baseboard

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: