2 Circulating pumps - 1 doesn't run

Old 09-19-06, 06:11 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2 Circulating pumps - 1 doesn't run

First of all just wanted to say I just found this forum and plan to read it over for more info on new boliers etc. as it looks like just the info I'm looking for.

At any rate my issue...
I have 2 zones in my house and 2 circulating pumps and when I turn up the thermostats the one pump runs but the other one doesn't do anything (no hum or any signs of life).
I had turned down my aquasats this summer to save on heat (2nd summer in this house and this time I realized I didn't need to keep the bolier cookin over the summer!).
So I'm thinking either:
a) Electrical - I have 2 on/off switches for the two pumps and both are on. I've checked the breaker panel and don't see any tripped. I'm thinking of checking for power at the pump housing.
b) pump motor - doesn't make any noise so it doesn't appear to be like a bushing or anything although they are old motors and I have to oil them all winter.
c) aquastat setting? I have 2 aquastats and to be honest I'm not sure which one does what or how they should be set (one is min boiler temp and one is the max?)

MD

Old 09-20-06, 04:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Circulators/Aquastats

The non operating circulator may be tied to one of the aquastats. If it is & you have the high & low settings backward or too close together, the circulator will not run. If you can, please post the model numbers of the aquastats.

Old 09-20-06, 07:27 PM
M
I have a cover for one of the aquastats and inside it reads
"Honeywell LA409A" and they both look to be the same model.
Down by my gas input I have some circualr wiring connector with 3 sets of terminals on it as in:
- thermostat: a blk/wht set of wires run to what I'll refer to as my upper aquastat (since it's above the other one) and it is set to around 180 degrees.
- aux control: a set of blk wires run to the lower aquastat and it is set to around 140 degrees (hard to tell exactly as theres no cover)
- Pilot Gen - set of wires run to my pilot light?

Other info:
My Temp Guage shows about 180 degrees and the Altitude? shows about 17 whatever that means.

Cockram Bolier
Patented 1949
Net BTU 94,5000
Nozzle Size 1.25

Old 09-20-06, 08:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Aquastats/circulator

As I recall, those aquastats can be used as either a high or low limit. Try tracing the wires from the non-working circulator & tell me where they go. If you have a voltmeter, once the boiler is up to temp, you can set the thermostat to call for heat & check voltage to the circulator. BE CAREFUL you will be working with a potentially live 120 volt circuit. If you have 120 volts to the circ. & it does not run, the motor is probably bad. What kind of circulators do you have. One brand, Grunfoss, had a habit of sticking over the summer. Easy to get started if that is what you have & there is power to it.

Old 09-20-06, 09:47 PM
M
The electrical wires from the pumps (B&G brand) go to a set of wall mounted on/off switchs. I had removed the little power connector housing earlier and was going to check for power but never followed up on it and instead started this post. I did try turning the motor by using a screw driver against a gear I can see inside the motor but that didn't seem do anything (like move if off of a dead spot if that's a possibility).
I'll do a little AC testing tomorrow I guess or I'll maybe get a plumber/heating contractor in to look at this unless the motor can be removed and replaced by a DIY.

Old 09-20-06, 09:59 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

To change the motor yes its a DIY. But first find out if you have power to it.

ED

Old 09-21-06, 06:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Circulator motor

If this is a B&G 100 series circulator, changing the motor is a 5 minute job for me, might take you 15.
Picture of B&G 100 series: http://www.bellgossett.com/productPages/Parts-SERIES-100.asp

Old 09-22-06, 12:20 PM
M
Thanks Grady and Ed.
Turns out it's not the pump because as was suggested I needed to verify it was getting power. By disconnecting it and jumpering a power cord to it the motor runs. So now I have to figure out what's not working on the thermostat end.
I've swapped the thermostats as the suspect one still works fine on the other zone to power the other pump.
Thanks for the url to the B&G pump as I did phone around yesterday to inquire about pumps and nobody would sell to me if I wasn't a business/contractor. At least now I might be able to get a pump if I do ever need one.
I'll update this post later when I get it figured out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: