refilling system

Old 09-19-06, 07:29 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question refilling system

I replaced a radiator and didn't give it much thought, I made the assumption that by opening bleeds and turning water back on system would refill. It is either refilling very slowly or not at all. what is the proper way to refill the system?

Old 09-19-06, 09:00 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

It should from what you said. Is the auto fill working???? Do you hear water running in the boiler from it??? I like to let water in .Then go around and open a bleeder to let the air out and close it. then go around again. till I have water out of the highest one.
Any PSI on the gauge????

ED

Old 09-20-06, 02:28 AM
M
I thought it should be faster to refill

I do not know what auto fill is or how to determine whether it is working. Nor how or where it is to fix it. When I turned the water back on I could hear it running. Now when the thermostat is turned up the boiler fires, heats up, shuts off, but pump continues to run, and water enters the system very slowly, psi is around 5 or 6. It ran all night, the water meter ran about 20 gallons, heat can be felt in piping for about 20 feet. Should I be patient or should it be filling faster? is there a way to force fill it other than using house water pressure and the boiler pump?

Old 09-20-06, 03:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Refilling boiler

If you can take some pictures of the piping near the boiler & post them on photobucket or similar photo hosting web site you can post a link here. From the pics we should be able to find & point out to you the fill valve.

Old 09-24-06, 09:41 AM
M
view of boiler piping

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k26/moor3914/boilera.jpg
in this photo you can see the fill or make up line at the right, with the ball valve, then the regulator and blow off, then up to circulating pump.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k26/moor3914/boilerb.jpg
this shows the view at top of boiler with piping to system.

Old 09-24-06, 03:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Slow fill

There is little wonder the reducing (feed) valve won't feed as it should. It is probably plugged with rust. I realize it would be a task but I suggest replacing the reducing valve, backflow preventer (device to the right of the reducing valve), & piping between the ball valve & the boiler. While you are doing it, I strongly suggest a ball valve on each side of reducing valve & at least one union between the valves.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: