annual Stuck Gas Valve Honeywell.

Old 09-19-06, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool annual Stuck Gas Valve Honeywell.

so i went to my apartment building today to turn on the boiler after another warm summer in Michigan. Last year she fired right up. Two years ago after I lit the pilot only 20% or so of the gas made it to the boiler so I baby sat it. In a few hours it was full blast.
Tonight. Nothing. I lit the pilot, turned it on, the water pump went on..the thermostats were calling for heat , but the gas valve didnt open. I recall lots of tapping 2 years ago to get it going. I expect ya'll to tell me to replace it. Shoot, I already replaced all the zone valves, control box and water pump last year.. on this 30 year old Honeywell. Just hoping maybe running the pilot all night will Lub it up. and looking for answers. Thanks
Steve

Old 09-19-06, 08:38 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

.. on this 30 year old Honeywell. Just hoping maybe running the pilot all night will Lub it up. and looking for answers. Thanks
You know you have to. Get a new one for sure.
Did you check for power to the valve?? I have had gas valves hang up from a gum like that gets in them.
"my apartment building"
Get a new one and the renters will be happy.

ED

Old 09-20-06, 05:27 AM
Stuck Gas valve.

No I didnt check the power to the valve.
Because I had had to hammer tap it before I figured it was just stuck again. If you saw what was making yours stick, you must have pulled it apart. Good job.

I will check power to it today.

UPDATE : Boiler fired up ! I tapped on the valve 20 times..then tried a new sequence.
1) I left the toggle switch "ON" that powers the gas valve and pump this time... 2) lit pilot 3) turned pilot knob to on. Then she fired up! ! ! should be good to go for another season. Anxious to see if my new taco pump can make it more than a season. My Bell and gosset big reds would last only two. I went thru 3 of those expensive pumps in 6 years.

Last edited by sdanville; 09-20-06 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-20-06, 03:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Circulators

If you are going thru circulators at that rate, you have a problem. It is not uncommon for me to see circulators 30+ years old.

Old 09-20-06, 04:05 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Glad you got the valve to work. Im with Grady. When you pull the pumps out what is wrong with them?????? Impeller , coupling , motor????

ED

Old 09-20-06, 05:21 PM
short life span

1st off it is in a 4 unit apartment building in michigan. I pay the gas bill so the tenants run it 24/7 for 10 months of the year.(again Michigan).

as I recall
two motors
3 impellers
3 bearings
6 couplers.
I went through 3 couplers this spring and that was the last straw. At $30 each,,, so in March this year i bought 4, yes, 4 taco pumps to make it throught this coming winter or two.
i was told they use a fraction of the electricity and water lubercated so no over or under oiling. Time will tell how long they last.

Old 09-20-06, 07:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Circulators

The vast majority of the circulator problems I see stem from over oiling. Oil gets on the motor mounts, softens them & they sag. This puts the motor out of alignment with the bearing assembly, breaks couplings, & puts extra stress on the bearing assembly causing seals to fail. Just FYI

Old 09-20-06, 07:22 PM
thanks - maybe i did over oil.

thank you and i am glad i dont have to worry about that anymore.

Old 09-20-06, 07:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Taco circulators

If you got the "00" series circulators, they are tough as nails & since you can't oil them, you can't over oil. Biggest thing with them is to make sure they never run dry (as in no water).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: