Another aquastat question

Old 10-01-06, 03:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Another aquastat question

I've been reading this forum for a few days now and have learned quite a bit. Although I hate to start another thread on aquastats, I will.

I have an S-131-AP New Yorker steel boiler that is about 4 years old. Not my choice of boiler, but it is what the house came with. I recently disconnected the tankless coil and added a Weil-Mclain indirect HWH. The boiler now has 5 zones. Upstairs, Downstairs, Radiant Heat in a great room, small finished basement room and the HWH. Square footage of the house is approx 2100 Sq/ft.

The boiler has a Honeywell triple 8124A aquastat that was set at 170L/190H/ and 15 diff. Instead of shelling out the cash for an 8148 I set the low limit all the way down and reduced the High to 170 and left the diff alone.

Does this sound like a decent setting, or is there a better way to economicaly operate the system. I cant wait till this thing dies so I can replace it with something of my choice.

Thanks for reading
John

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-06, 06:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Aquastat

There are a couple of things that bother me about your set up:

I hope you are not pumping water that hot into in floor radiant, if this is the type of radiant you have in the great room.

By keeping the boiler hot, you are for all practical purposes loosing a big benefit of the indirect.
I'm all but certain the L8124 can be converted to a cold start type of control by simply snipping a wire, but for the life of me I can't remember for sure which wire.

Old 10-01-06, 07:34 PM
Grady....

On the Radiant zone I have a mixing valve that reduces that temperature down to about 130 prior to entering the manifolds. As far as the min temperature is concerned I have it dialed down as far as it will let me. I see some red and blue wires, but dont want to snip one unless I'm sure.

Thanks

Last edited by DIYaddict; 10-01-06 at 07:36 PM. Reason: removed quote as it's unnecessary to quote the entire post that's directly above yours
Old 10-02-06, 10:25 AM
Can some one explain to me what cold start means and it's role in saving $$ with indirect water heaters ?

Old 10-02-06, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by Joe C
Can some one explain to me what cold start means and it's role in saving $$ with indirect water heaters ?

As I understand it a cold start boiler will cool to room temperature if nothing is calling for heat. Otherwise the boiler will maintain a minimum temperature 24/7 to be ready for a call for Hot water. With an Indirect you have a reserve supply of Hot water standing by in the tank, so the boiler will have time to come up to temperature when the the Indirect call for it.

Something like that.

I'd like to know a good High temp limit to set the aquastat at. I notice when the Limit was 180, the boiler would fire and pretty much run the entire time the Indirect was asking for heat. The boiler would never reach the High limit cutoff. Since I've lowered the high limit to 170, the boiler will reach that temp while the indirect circulator is running and shut down the boiler.

This is all without a call for heat, so I may have to wait and see how it acts in the winter.

Old 10-02-06, 05:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Joe C

Johnny H's explanation is right on the money. Without keeping the boiler at operating temperature, you don't have it sitting there just radiating heat either up the chimney or into a room where you don't want the heat. Unless your boiler would come up to 150+ in 2-3 minutes from a "cold" start, it is possible you could run out of hot water.

Old 10-02-06, 05:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Johnny H

If you can heat the domestic fast enough with 170 water, that's a good thing. The cooler (to a point) you can run the boiler & still get the job done the more you will save.

Old 10-04-06, 06:00 AM
Thanks Grady & Johnny for the explanation, that helps a lot. My boiler does get cold when there is no call for hot water. The indirect can supply hot water for a few minutes before the boiler fires. We have never run out of HW.

Old 10-22-11, 09:21 AM
aquastat honeywell 8124a

hi guys,
new to this forum but looks like you know about the honeywell aquastst 8124a
i have an old oil burner w/ summer winter set up, i just installed a navian on demand water heater, i have disconnected my DHW lines coming from boiler, can i, how do i disable the aquastst from calling for DHW and respond only to a call for heat?