Dole Zone Valve Replacemnt Info

Old 10-02-06, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Dole Zone Valve Replacemnt Info

I have a 3 zone hot water heat system. I can no longer find the Dole Zone Valve HM4 or the lower assy's for them.

I want to switch to a Honeywell zone valve system.

Does anyone have any information or help on how to wire the Honeywell vs. Dole system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-06, 06:05 PM
Honeywell

http://www.invensysappliance.com/linkedElements/Dole_HM4_A_ZoneValve.pdf#search=%22Dole%20Zone%20Valve%20HM4%22

It looks like your Dole valve is made by Invensysappliance. Have you tried contacting them to locate a distributor? Otherwise, they look to be heat motor operated 4-wire zone valve -- the Honeywells are motor driven and will draw a lot less current, your heat anticipators on the t-stats will have to be set to compensate for the change if applicable.

Pete (not a Pro, fwiw...)

Old 10-02-06, 06:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Zone valves

As Radioconnection said; the Doles are heat motor types & the Honeywell is electro-mechanical. The Dole appears to be a four wire valve, as is the Honeywell so wiring should be the same.

Old 10-03-06, 11:21 AM
Question Dole Zone Valve

Thanks for the help.

I am not sure how to adjuct the thermostat as was mentioned.

I have the old mercury switch type thermostats.

Please advise.

Thanks again

Old 10-03-06, 05:51 PM
anticipator

The old mechanical thermostats have a heat anticipator. Look for an adjustable gizmo inside the stat, near the bimetal spring the mercury switch attaches to. It will be calibrated with markings that go (IIRC) from about .1 to 1.0. It is an adjustable resistor that is set to match the current drawn by the control valve on the boiler. It's purpose is to generate a small amount of heat that causes the thermostat to be satisfied before the room air actually reaches temperature. The latent heat held in the radiators/baseboards/fintubes supplies the remaining heat. The anticipator prevents the system from over compensating for a heat call. The valves with heat motors draw the most current, BTW. Be careful, it is also very easy to burn out the resistance wire if it set wrong, esp. with the heat motor current draw!